To Lucca - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 30, 2023

To Lucca

Andrea, our host, served us breakfast at his restaurant just two doors down the street. Scott was busy with the coffee order while Pat  arranged a table for us in the piazza. A man approached her and asked if she was Patricia Fenwick. Somewhat confused that a stranger in a small village in Italy would know her name she said -YES. The man was, of course, Paolo with whom she had arranged the accommodation.  There were lots of smiles and handshakes all around. He was very pleased to meet us. After breakfast he went to an office across the street and presented us with a Lorenzana fridge magnet. It was quite funny because we often carefully hand pick  a few of these kitchy souvenirs  from only the most memorable stops. We have developed a small collection on the side of our fridge at home. The Lorenzana magnet will be a perfect addition!

Andrea and Pat in front of the Vecchi Sapori
Heart 3 Comment 0
Meeting Paolo. We were made to feel like celebrities in Lorenzana.
Heart 3 Comment 0

After a very nice breakfast we went back to the room,  packed up our panniers and headed back to the piazza to load up the bikes. Not paying too much attention to the traffic light, we rode down the main street on the way out of town.  Pat looked into an open door where a  school class was sitting on the floor surrounded by posters of their photography projects. Pat was beckoned in as a guest and Scott followed behind. The teacher explained the assignment that the kids had completed and told us that part of her lessons are in English, too. Now Pat has no fear of a grade four class and naturally began a conversation about where we are from. The kids think this is all great and have Pat sign the guest book. It really was wonderful to be so welcomed and very moving experience for both of us.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat telling the class about ourselves. The class projects surround the walls. The photographs are really quite good with the explanation of the subject presented below each picture.
Heart 5 Comment 3
David MathersWhat a cool experience 👍
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Barry DevlinIndeed - a truly memorable experience. But I'm pretty sure Pat never wore a bike helmet while teaching her students in Canada!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Rachael AndersonWhat a great encounter for you and them!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Pat signing the guest book as the kids gather around to witness her hand writing.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We retraced our route to last night`s restaurant and began the only real climb of the day. Our ride then took us through more populated centres and the traffic began to build. Just before reaching Cascine di Buti, about 25 kilometres into the ride,  the truck traffic was becoming intolerable. We stopped when the road we were on, the SP6,  became the designated truck route to Lucca and we evaluated other routings. We noticed that we were at the beginning of the SS439 which is a direct route to Lucca. We are leery of the Strada Statale designated roads as they are usually the bigger roads. However, in this case, trucks were not permitted and must stay on the designated truck route. As it turned out, the SS439 was an absolute delight to ride with almost no cars - a cyclist's dream of a curvy undulating road. The road went through numerous small communities and we think that there must have been a collective view that trucks were just not suitable on the road and they were banished to the longer SP6 route.

Straight flat road through the fields. Not much traffic right now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just a guess - a Lockheed Martin C-130J Super Hercules. We have been seeing a number of these military aircraft overhead.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Brand new bike path under construction that took us along a stretch for about a half a kilometre.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Really nice road but the traffic, not seen here, was getting busier.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Off the truck route and into the town of Cascine di Buti there was celebration of Bansky art.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The SS439 is the best route to Lucca.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Castle on the hill. We did not go there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At our coffee stop there was a fruit truck doing a brisk business with the locals. Scott bought some peaches.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We arrived in Lucca a bit early for our planned meeting time and rode our bikes into the amazing walled town. It was much larger than we would have thought as we rode the very bumpy surfaces or pushed our bikes along with the pedestrian traffic. 

Aqueduct crossing SS439 just before arriving in Lucca. The 19th-century structure brought water to Lucca from the mountains south of the city through a stone channel supported by more than 400 arches, stretching for over 3 kilometres.
Heart 2 Comment 0
An optional routing to Lucca is beside the aqueduct but we decided against it.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Lucca.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Lucca.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Our hotel was just outside the walls and we walked over again later to enjoy a nice pasta and salad dinner before calling it a night. Tomorrow is a day off so we will spend more time in Lucca then.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 753 km (468 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0