Loop to Sabino Canyon - 14 Wheels to Tucson - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2023

Loop to Sabino Canyon

Finally, a 50 miler

Will all the time our road and mountain biking obsessions are eating up, we haven't been to some of my favorite hiking spots yet this year - like Sabino Canyon. We'll get a whiff of it on today's quest for our first 50 miler of the year, if we ever get going.

Barry is finishing up a shelving project in his clothes closet while I play with the route plan for our Northwest tour in June and wrap presents for my grandson's third birthday. Last week my friend Sarah mentioned something about cyclists faffing around. I had to look that one up. The Oxford Learner's Dictionaries describes faffing as wasting time on unproductive activity. While I'm sure she wasn't suggesting that about me, it feels like a fair description as I tidy up a drawer in search of a chip clip. None of this is moving us forward on the mission for the day. 

By the time we pedal east onto the Loop path from St. Phillips Plaza it's 12:30. Right away we can see a big change from our last visit. The Rillito River - dry when we came through here on Valentine's Day, is now full of water from the recent rains.

There were riders on horseback in a dry wash here two weeks ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The barriers are still up by the new mural just east of Campbell Road although they have been moved back to the wall. I wonder how long they'll be there.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Five miles later we exit the Loop to the River Road. It's busy here today and the shoulder is just ok. Two miles later we turn on to Sabino Canyon Road which is quieter with a wider shoulder, and enjoy our view of the Santa Catalina mountains on the ride up to the canyon.

Sabino Canyon Road
Heart 1 Comment 0

Reaching Sabino Canyon at 1:30, we're 10 miles in with 40 to go and my dinner bell is clanging. We walk the Bajada Loop nature trail and find an unoccupied bench to eat our sandwiches. It's a fine cool day to commune with the desert flora and watch the lizards dart around. We really should pick a day for a proper hike here. I bet the stream crossings are full on the Seven Falls Trail considering how much rain has drained down the Santa Catalinas to the Rillito River.

On the Bajada Loop nature trail. Even with just a little time here it's worth the stop.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Crested Saguaro on the left. It's a mystery what causes this striking growth pattern although there are various theories - weather, insects, genetics...
Heart 4 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonI love this spot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamMe too. The Cristate Saguaro is fascinating to study
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We manage to wrap up our picnic in under an hour and start riding west on Sunrise Drive. The bike lane is ok here but the traffic is noisy. There's nobody on the sidewalk for miles and we move over there to climb a hill. We do 14 miles on the roads, working our way up to the Loop path on Cañada del Oro. It's all fine, but nicer on the bike path.

Nice landscaping here in the Catalina Foothills. I think this is Chuparosa, with the red tubular flowers that hummingbirds love.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Ah, back on the serene Tucson Loop.
Heart 0 Comment 0

While I have ambitions to reach El Rio Preserve, at 4:30 with the sun getting low and the wind picking up we're just at mile 34. No more time to faff around today. Reluctantly we turn back towards the Rillito River. 

Water in the Santa Cruz
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water in the Rillito
Heart 0 Comment 0

Back at St. Phillips Plaza we're at mile 48. This will not do. Committed to the mission of 50, I ride east a mile for another look at the murals from across the river. 

From a distance with the barriers turned perpendicular to the wall it's pretty spectacular
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

A coda.... 
I satisfied my hankering for a visit to El Rio Preserve the next day while running errands in the car. I first saw this lovely spot on a day ride with the Anderson's January 2, while we were making a short stop in Tucson on a road trip home. There's a neat duck blind there built by an Eagle Scout. Wonderful place to sit and watch the birds.

Wetlands at El Rio Preserve
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 455 miles (732 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezAt the intersection of the Rillito and Craycroft Road is where the Tanque Verde Wash and the Pantano Wash come together. It's a sight to see!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonCongratulations on cycling 50 miles and with a late start! The weather really sucks here so I’m mostly working out on a spin bike at the gym focusing on Simulating climbs and getting into my anerobic zone. We’ve got a lot of climbing to do in Sicily.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Kelly IniguezKelly, we were just there yesterday, on the south side of the Rillito and then west of Pantano Wash. I couldn't see the confluence very well from there - is there a better spot?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Janice BranhamTo Rachael AndersonThanks Rachael. Sounds like you have a great training plan going on the gym. Hoping you'll get a break in the weather and can get in another ride or two outside before you leave.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago