Day 3 Rest Day at Dunkeld - Using our free train tickets - CycleBlaze

October 22, 2015

Day 3 Rest Day at Dunkeld

The next day turned out to be a sight seeing day we cycled into town to the Southern Grampians Gardens - Arboretum and along the 2-kilometre shared walking/bike path which wound its way around a series of small lakes/ponds, which could be crossed by several bridges, some now reserved for walkers only. Riding along the waters edge we stopped to read information boards which explained that earlier last century (1944) the lakes had provided sanctuary to the towns people who had stood in the water to escape bush fires which were threatening the town. Cycling further along the path we came to Fitzpatrick's Sawmill 1943 -2001 which reflected the town's Timber Industry. Here we could read information boards about the mills history and view old saws and wood working machinery through a mesh fence, the mill was surrounded by felled trees some of which had been used in a wood chopping competitions (Saturday 17th October 2015): we saw cut red gum planks of timber the colour of autumn leaves.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fitzpatrick's Sawmill
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old bullock drawn timber jinker.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After leaving the Arboretum we had an enjoyable morning tea at The Dunkeld Old Bakery & Cafe on Martin Street, and cycled around town looking at buildings etc of interest in the town:- The Old Australia Post Office weatherboard building (1892) was still open for business; the War Memorial and its gardens opposite the information centre, the wide streets with old homes and flowering gardens were a joy to see.

Heart 0 Comment 0
White Wisteria over pergola in War Memorial Gardens
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0