Day 6: Port Fairy to Warrnambool - Using our free train tickets - CycleBlaze

October 28, 2015

Day 6: Port Fairy to Warrnambool

Distance 44km
Average: 16.6km/h
Weather: Cool, light southerly.

After breakfast we packed the bike and rode out of town along Gipps Street, crossing the Moyne River and riding along Griffiths Street which turned into Skenes Road, we rode parallel to the coast in an easterly direction heading for Warrnambool and our train home. Soon we passed Port Fairy Golf Club on our right, and Skenes Road became Port Fairy Road which followed the coast in an arc heading northwards, until we turned right into Sheehans Road riding through Crossley. Riding on we skirted Tower Hill Lake in a northerly direction still on the Port Fairy Road until we turned right onto the Penshurst - Warrnambool Road, which took us to the town of Koroit. Here we stopped half way along the main street in front of the Koroit Bakehouse and Crater Cafe, our favourite bakery for morning tea. Leaving town behind us we rode through Southern Cross where the road changed its name to Mailors Flat Koroit Road, riding in a straight line until we turned sharp right into C174 Warrnambool Caramut Road, which would form the last leg of our skewed oblong route to Warrnambool. Crossing the Merri River we were now on the outskirts of The City of Warrnambool, and stopped at a set of traffic lights on the corner of Caramut Road / Princess Highway, where we turned left travelling along the highway for a short distance, before turning right across a set of traffic lights into Fairy Street which ended at the railway station.

looking back across The Moyne River to Port Fairy as we cycled out of town
Heart 0 Comment 0
farm windmill on the road to Warrnambool
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
looking over Tower Hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
looking over Tower Hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
looking over Tower Hill
Heart 0 Comment 0
looking over Tower Hill to the coast
Heart 0 Comment 0
N Class loco ready to take us back to Melbourne with the tandem in the luggage compartment behind that large door at the end of the carriage.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 44 km (27 miles)
Total: 302 km (188 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0