Day 74 Bennington VT to Brattleboro VT - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

August 30, 2023

Day 74 Bennington VT to Brattleboro VT

It’s nice to know that while we are pedaling our asses off, our neighbors are looking out for our house during the hurricane 🥰
Heart 1 Comment 1
Edward GriecoThe Eagle flew the coup,😂
Reply to this comment
7 months ago

We knew last night that it was going to be raining when we woke up. We thought maybe we would take a day off as we did not want to ride in the rain. When we woke up it was raining pretty hard so we stayed in bed. It did show that it would be stopping and it did. So at 9:15 am we headed out. We knew we had about 20 miles to get to Wilmington and there would be hills. We stopped at Stewart’s to get our daily muffins and off we went. We didn’t get far when we had to start the 8 mile climb. The more we went the more the percentage of the climb grew, up to 10%. We had to start pushing. Hubs’ knee has been really bothering him the past few days and it made it much harder for him to pedal. We had got a little more than 6 miles when this truck came down the hill on the opposite side of the road and stopped to ask me if we would want a ride up to the top. I said yes right away. He said he would turn around and went down a little bit and stopped to talk to Hubs. I thought, he better not say no seeing his knee was killing him but he didn’t. Another Biking Angel named Peter. He was actually going to Wilmington where we were going too so he said he would take us. We were thinking that seeing he is driving us that when we get out that maybe we could make it to Brattleboro. Peter actually brought us a couple of miles past Wilmington to the top of a hill. He said it would be all downhill to Brattleboro so we were happy. Where he let us off had a parking lot. There was a candy, fudge, ice cream place right there. Across the street was a brewery and just to the left was a distillery. The brewery and distillery were not open and the candy place didn’t have lunch as it was noon time. They opened later in the day. So off we went right down an 8% grade downhill. Weeeeeee!!! Oops, Peter must have forgot that there were a few hills and we did do some more pushing but nothing like it was before he picked us up. I would say 90% of the ride was downhill. There were a few more 8% grade downhills. We made it to Brattleboro around 1:30 and stopped at the bike shop and then headed to the brewery for lunch. We had a few more miles to go to get to the motel as it was a bit out of town. Tomorrow we head to Peterboro NH. State # 10 here we come. We will have hills and I hope they are not how I remember them  as many years ago we lived in New Hampshire.

The waters were fast flowing, probably from the rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking back at some of the 8 mile climb
Heart 0 Comment 0
Peter, our Biking Angel. 🥰
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view from where Peter left us off.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Was happy to see this sign
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Emily & Joel in Brattleboro. They are from Montreal. Their adventure took them from Montreal to Boston and now they are on their way back to Montreal
Heart 1 Comment 0
Going into the brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The brewery
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking in
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beers on tap
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our just rewards
Heart 1 Comment 0
Walking back from the brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked the building
Heart 0 Comment 0
More fast flowing water
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs liked the hanging deck
Heart 0 Comment 0
I asked the guy if he was touring and he said nope, just my everyday transportation. He had his tool boxes on the bike. Good for him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A map of all the covered bridges in Vermont
Heart 1 Comment 0
A new milestone.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Hubs said they will not be as bad as today but we will see. 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞.

Today's ride: 24 miles (39 km)
Total: 483 miles (777 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Phil/Ann DettwilerIt’s exhausting to read of ALL the hills….cannot fathom it day after day.
You are admired for your fortitude….and for the just rewards at the day’s end!! Wishing you more smiling faces, kind new friends, a few laughs and a great day of riding on the last day of August, 2023!
A&P
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Bob DistelbergGlad to hear you made it over the Green Mountains. I hope you had a chance to stop and check out the view from the top of Hogback. And nice to see some pics showing you made it to some Brattleboro hot spots!
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Bob DistelbergYes we are glad we made it over the mountains and yes did see the view. It feels good to be back in our old stomping grounds. Will be glad to get to stay with friends .
Reply to this comment
7 months ago