Day 20 Whitefish MT to West Glacier MT - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

July 7, 2023

Day 20 Whitefish MT to West Glacier MT

The good thing about leaving today was we knew we did not have to go on route 93. We started going through neighborhoods which was nice and as we got to the edge of town we did have a hill that was a pusher. Turns out it was the only one for the whole ride. 👍😃. We did have quite a few ups and downs but nothing that bad. We had to agree that today was the best biking day we’ve had since we started. The weather was great also. The scenery was beautiful and at one point we had to go over a bridge crossing a river. We stopped to get a picture as people were camping right on the water. We also came upon some more water coming out of the mountain and had to stop to fill up our empty bottles. Hubs mentioned that we were going to get in early again but I said you never know what is up ahead and lo and behold, we had a stop as they were doing road work. David the sign guy told us it would be 10 minutes for the  pilot car to get back but it turned into 1/2 hour as today was inspection day. As we talked to David, he told us how he in 1988 wanted to bike from MT to FL on his 10 speed Schwin bike. He got as far as Nebraska as he ate through all his money. He said he was always hungry so he ate well. When he ran out of money he didn’t know what to do but as it happens a carnival was setting up in town so he got a job for a couple of weeks till he had enough money to take a bus home. When we told him that we lived in SC he asked if it was near Beaufort and we said, yes, Bluffton. Turns out in 1975 when he graduated high school he enlisted in the Marines and was at Parris Island. Small world. Hubs asked how he came to Montana and he said he was in California when he got out of the service. He went back home to New Jersey but knew he wanted out of the there so he ended up coming to Montana. We finally were able to go and seeing there was now a real long line of cars we waited till they all left as we weren’t sure we would be able to ride on the cut up road. Luckily we made it through before any other cars came behind us. We finally came to the main road route 2 but we were able to bike on a bike trail right up to our motel which is right outside the entrance to West Glacier Park. We got settled in, went for lunch and then relaxed for awhile before we decided to take a walk into the park to look through the shops. It started to rain a bit but luckily it didn’t end up raining hard. Now we are relaxing for the night and are headed tomorrow to Glacier Meadow RV park. 

People camping right on the river
Heart 2 Comment 1
Fresh water coming out of the mountain
Heart 1 Comment 0
Backroads we were on today
Heart 0 Comment 0
David, the sign guy who we chatted with.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hubs rewards for his ride today though he wasn’t that impressed with this IPA
Heart 2 Comment 1
Edward GriecoIncredible, 😀
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Entering to the park
Heart 3 Comment 0
I am trying to make friends with the bear. Hopefully he is the only one I get close to
Heart 3 Comment 0
Hubs wanted to make friends with the bear too
Heart 4 Comment 0
Hubs decide he wanted to try the supposedly great homemade pies. It better be good as it was $10.00!
Heart 2 Comment 2
DOUGLAS HEINSLooks yummy. Hope it was! $$$$
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Edward Grieco😳😳😳
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Today's ride: 31 miles (50 km)
Total: 2,897 miles (4,662 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Debbie ColeSounds like you had an awesome day.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago