Day 0 - Drive Limoux to Montauban - Tour des Deux Vallees - Tandem Tour - September 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 23, 2019

Day 0 - Drive Limoux to Montauban

No riding this day. We spent the morning finalizing our packing, then got the bike into the car.

This operation involves taking the front and rear wheels off, and taking off the captain's seatpost. Then, with a bunch of fiddling and cursing, we can just about wedge the bike into the back of our Toyota Auris.

It's in there - finally
Heart 0 Comment 0

It's always a little hard to leave home. This time was no exception - the garden has been producing really well all year and we were going to miss some harvesting. Luckily our good friends volunteered to come by and bail us out for the duration of the trip.

Harvest left behind
Heart 0 Comment 0

The 1.5 hour drive to Montauban went by with no effort at all. We pulled into the center of town to find the parking garage I had contacted about leaving the car for the duration of the tour. The helpful parking attendant took care of us and for 75 Euros, we had covered, secure parking for the car for 2 weeks with unlimited entrance and exit. We explored downtown Montauban a bit. It was pretty quiet on a Monday afternoon - a day where many stores are closed in France.

Quiet Monday afternoon under the pink umbrellas
Heart 1 Comment 0

The central square "Place Nationale" is very nice - double columns of red-brick arches.

Arches in the central square
Heart 1 Comment 0

We did some sightseeing in town and then came back to the Place Nationale for drinks. The late-afternoon light gave everything a rosy glow.

The Pont Vieux over the river Tarn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Afternoon drinks
Heart 0 Comment 0

After drinks, we retrieved the car and drove to our B&B "Le Manoir de la Gravette", which was out of town. (I couldn't find suitable accommodations in the city) Our charming host made us feel at home, and settled us next to the pool with some wine and munchies.

Not a bad life if you can get it!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After a brief rest, it was back into town to the Place Nationale for dinner, then back to our B&B for the night.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0