Stage Twelve: Brittany (Velodysee, Tour de Manche) 600 km - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

May 19, 2018

Stage Twelve: Brittany (Velodysee, Tour de Manche) 600 km

We abandoned the Velodysee at La Rochelle, to fly off onto our uncycled portion of the Francette, to Saumur. But the Velodysee continues up the coast from La Rochelle, turns on to the Loire, and goes to Nantes as well. From there it goes north west, up to Roscoff in Britanny. We are happy enough to follow it there, knowing that it uses the Nantes-Brest canal for a good portion of the trip. But before we get to Roscoff, or Brest for that matter, we will again swerve off.  At Morlaix we will set off east, toward St Malo and Mont St Michel, which are still in Britanny. 

Mont St Michel is the  little island abbey and monastery about 1 km offshore, 50 km beyond St Malo. It is a super recognizable landmark and pilgrimage/world heritage site.  There is an established Mont St Michel to Paris cycle route that we shall have to try sometime, but our way leads us next north east along the coast, to the 1944 Landing Beaches of Normandy.

Brittany we expect will be a bit like the Basque lands, with unfamiliar sounding place names.  The people there are related to the Cornish and Welsh, and are deemed a Celtic people. The language, Breton, is not much spoken now, but we will be interested to see what the culture of the region is actually like. We know that a lot of people migrated from Brittany to Quebec. We often have trouble understanding what people in the Quebec villages are saying, so perhaps we will be equally at a loss in Brittany!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0