Stage Eight: The Camargue 150 km - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

Stage Eight: The Camargue 150 km

As it approaches the Mediterranean the Rhone splits into a huge delta wetland with a unique and fascinating ecology and culture. The Camargue has salt flats and flamingos, white horses and black bulls. There is rice and special beef (torreau) sausages. Ever since we ran into a herd of semi wild totally gorgeous white horses on  bike path there we have been fascinated by the place.

The Camargue also has a unique church, in the town of Saintes Maries de la Mere. This is at the place where Mary Magdalene, Mary Salome and Mary of Clopas  are said to have landed in France.  These three are believed to be the women who were the first witnesses to the empty tomb at the resurrection of Jesus.  Mary Magdalene, according to the Da Vinci Code anyway, would be the wife of Jesus.   Mary Salome is the daughter of Mary of Clopas, and Mary of Clopas is Jesus' aunt.

Also, in a crypt, there is a statue of "Sarah" who is said to have accompanied the Marys from Egypt. Sarah is a patron saint to gypsies, who gather at the church once each year and take the statue into the sea.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Scott AndersonYou might look at our tour from last fall also, and maybe learn from our mistakes: navigation getting in to Sete from the east is a bit tricky. See https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/sete2017/to-sete-end-of-the-line/

Also, if you’re up for a bit of a splurge when you get to Sete, I recommend Hotel Orque Bleu.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakSay Grampies - is there no general guestbook for the blog that I can post on? This seems an odd place to say Happy Birthday!!

uh - HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAD!

2.2
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakThanks for the HB wishes. No general guestbook, but if you want to send a private message you can always email. Today will be the Market in Arles and then heading off into the Camargue. White horses, black bulls and flamingoes, oh my.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Marvin PaxmanTo Laurie MarczakYes, Laurie, I too miss the central collection point of comments connected to the journal that we used to be able to follow in the previous system.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakAny place is good for such a wish. Thanks Laurie!

Yes, Comments is the only spot on CycleBlaze.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Laurie MarczakTo Marvin PaxmanWe shall carry on in the face of such obstacles and disappointments though eh Marvin!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago