Day 68 - July 10 - Missoula, MT to Powell, ID - Two Old Guys Take On A Continent - CycleBlaze

July 10, 2023

Day 68 - July 10 - Missoula, MT to Powell, ID

Mecca!

John’s Story

Slept in this morning because we couldn’t go to Adventure Cycling until they opened at 8:00 AM. The restaurant next door to the Motel 6 opened at 7:00 so we ate breakfast there. We rolled up to ACA headquarters right as they opened. We had our picture taken, to be posted on the wall inside with those of all the others who have passed by this summer.  We signed in to the register. I had an ice cream bar and peeked around the office a bit. Then we left. It didn’t take long to absorb the experience of visiting the Mecca of bicycle tourists.  We were on the road before 8:30.

The obligatory picture in front of HQ.
Heart 9 Comment 0
Interesting office space decoration, but not unexpected.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the wall of fame.
Heart 6 Comment 0

It was in the mid 60s this morning so I wore just a short sleeve jersey and bike shorts. It was the first time since the Great Plains that I could dress so lightly. The clouds were threatening, but we thought it unlikely that it would rain on us. Wrong. Once we backtracked from Missoula to Lola and headed west toward Lola Pass it started to sprinkle occasionally. I actually stopped once to put my rain jacket on,  but by that time it stopped, and a few minutes later I took it off again.

I looked really closely, but I did not see a moose crossing 500’ ahead.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We stopped at Lolo Hot Springs Lodge for a break, and as we were about to leave the sky opened up with real rain. We stayed under cover at the lodge for about 20 minutes before it stopped. We hit the road again, and of course it started raining again. On with the jacket. Then again off with it. A couple times.

Bystanders watching us pass.
Heart 7 Comment 0

After 40 miles of riding steadily uphill from Missoula, we finally reached the bottom of the climb over the pass. The jacket came off permanently then. It was just too hot to wear riding up a steep hill. I was rained on several times. I never put it back on. Once the climb started it was over 1,000 vertical feet to the top. I made it without taking a single break, and was rewarded at the top by entering Idaho

Heart 10 Comment 0

Idaho is not a place to waste money on road signs, so you’d better pay attention closely when you see one the first time.

I’m guessing that in 160 miles we’ll cross into Oregon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We’ve travelled about 14 miles out of the 99 so far and it rings true.
Heart 2 Comment 0
As long as there are carbohydrates ahead we are good to go.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Critter.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltChipmunk

Possibly a unita chipmunk.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uinta_chipmunk
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Jane ChimahuskyAllllviiiiiiiiiinnnn!!!!!
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
I swung wildly about trying to get a shot of this butterfly as it flew rings around me at a stop. I’m glad at least one attempt caught it in the frame.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltTiger swallowtail

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/47226-Papilio-rutulus
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Yes, there were plants today.

These lined the Bitterroot Trail as we left Missoula. Do NOT fall on top of one.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltMusk thistle

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/76007-Carduus-nutans
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Growing on the trunk of a tree. I’m not sure if it’s two kinds of moss or one.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like wolf lichen.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Letharia_vulpina
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyI knew when I typed miss I should have typed li hen. What about the fuzzy beard hanging down from it? Part of the same organism or something else?
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Growing in the loose gravel on the shoulder of the road immediately next to the solid asphalt.
Heart 1 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltPurslane

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/58991-Portulaca-oleracea
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
John ChimahuskyThat’s the lowest growing Portuluca I’ve ever seen. It grows in my flowerbeds in Oklahoma. Depending on where it is I treat it like a weed or let it grow all summer.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Wild roses, I’m pretty sure.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltSure pretty... Correct!

There are several species in that area.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/922173-Roseae
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

The scenery on the west side of Lolo Pass was nothing less than spectacular. Extremely rugged and heavily forested.

Heart 7 Comment 0
Heart 5 Comment 0
We are following the Lochsa River, and will continue to do so all day tomorrow.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We made it to Powell Campground and stopped at the Lochsa Lodge for a beer. They wouldn’t share their Wi-Fi password unless you ordered an entrée.  A beer doesn’t count. A nice couple at the bar surreptitiously shared it with us, and now we are back after our dinner in camp to work on the journal while we nurse another beer. 

It will be cold again in the morning, probably mid to upper 40s. It will remain cooler until at least Kooskia, Idaho,  but by the time we reach Lewiston in a few days it will be in the 90s again, pushing 100. Hurrah!?

Ed’s Story

Woke up early probably in anticipation of riding out today. Cleaned up, packed up and headed to breakfast.

Went to a restaurant called 4B’s for breakfast. We ate at one of these in Dillon. Pancakes and coffee was the fare this morning. As we were eating, we noticed that there was a stream running underneath the restaurant.

A river runs under it!
Heart 6 Comment 0

We loaded the bikes and headed to Adventure Cycling. We got there a few minutes early but they were already open. We chatted for a bit and then had our pictures taken. As John probably already noted the picture is hung on the wall in their office.

I had one taken also.
Heart 7 Comment 0

We asked how they choose which picture goes in the magazine; the woman said she didn’t know as it wasn’t her department.

As my wife Debbie said we made in to the Mecca of the cycling world.

We then headed out, going out 12 miles on the route we rode in on. We said goodbye to Missoula on the way out.

So that’s what she looks like.
Heart 6 Comment 0

We then turned southwest on US 12 and headed toward Lolo Pass. The pass wasn’t as long or as steep as others, but we had already ridden 40 miles and climbed about one thousand feet before we got to the major part of the climb. That’s what made it difficult.

It rained on and off on our side before we got to the top. Once at the top and in Idaho, it was blue skies.

At the top of the pass was a visitor center. I had lunch and a cup of coffee they provided. Guess what it was called?

That’s funny. I had a beer called this the other day!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jane ChimahuskyIt’s getting you immune in case you ever come across the real thing lol
Reply to this comment
9 months ago

Just some sights along the way.

Lewis and Clark were also here.
Heart 4 Comment 0
My flower entry.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltLooks like fireweed.

https://plantid.net/RptOutput/Fireweed%20(Chamerion%20angustifolium%20ssp.%20circumvagum)%20-%20133335239356292362.pdf
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Giant cedars….time to build a porch!
Heart 5 Comment 0

Then rode downhill to Powell campground. It is next to Lochsa Lodge. Quiet campground but no showers. Although no bear boxes they talk about securing your food so will probably put in bathroom.

Tomorrow’s ride is about 65 miles to Lowell ID…..almost all downhill.

Until then happy biking!

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 885 miles (1,424 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0