Christmas in Chaiten - The eighth step ... Patagonia etc once more. - CycleBlaze

December 24, 2019 to December 25, 2019

Christmas in Chaiten

The purpose of a stay in Chaiten was to be able to enjoy some semblance of a traditional Christmas dinner.  Yesterday morning, after ascertaining that the gas oven in the cocina at the hostal was operational (they had to connect it for us), we spent a good hour or so in the main supermercardo in town getting the ingredients together to cook up an approximation of a Christmas lunch. 

Eloise, of the young British couple we met in Horniopiren, had messaged us to say they were in Chaiten and were keen to meet for a beer etc so we met her and her husband Lewis for for a very enjoyable evening of pizzas and beer at Pizzeria Requita (well recommended). 

After being choc-a-block full on the night we arrived, the hostal was pretty much empty both last night and tonight with only one other couple on each might.  This meant we had full use of the the kitchen for our Christmas lunch which, in the end, didn't turn out too badly.

Not so good Chilean sparkling wine.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Merry Christmas!
Heart 0 Comment 0
First course - pepper stuffed with salmon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mains - roast chicken etc.
Heart 0 Comment 0

In between mains and desert we took a stroll through the town to let things settle.  After a bottle of bubbles and half a bottle of merlot it was also needed to clear our heads.  A pleasant suprise was bumping to Paride and Carina with their little daughter Faustina (the Swiss family whom we had met at the ferry in Hornopiren).  They were waiting for their couch-surfing host to meet them so we had a good natter while we waited for them to be collected.

Things move slowly in Chaiten.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After we got back from our walk, Leigh assembled a desert from chocolate chip cookies and some chocolate mouse topped with cream and strawberry jam.  This was enough to make us realise that the planned fourth course of cheese and biscuits wasn't going to happen today.

All in all, as good a Christmas dinner we could have hoped for in the circumstances.

Today's ride: 6 km (4 miles)
Total: 196 km (122 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0