Kampung Pasir Hitam - The sixth step ... Back to SE Asia - CycleBlaze

March 11, 2019

Kampung Pasir Hitam

The GeoPark on Langkawi covers three main geological formations - Cambrian, karst and sandstone.  The Cambrian section has been violated by the theme park and the karst section has been destroyed by a cement factory.  I am struggling to come to terms with the Asian approach to conservation areas.  While we were watching the Dusky Leaf-Monkeys yesterday, some guy had to come along and shout at them which frightened them away.

Looking back at the SkyCab
Heart 1 Comment 0

First task this morning was to find some food because nothing was stirring at the GeoPark at eight o'clock in the morning.  A large portion of nasi lemak from a street side vendor near the junction with the road back to Kuah solved that problem.

Nasi Lemak for breakfast. The newspaper headline reads "Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex visit Morocco".
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it was northwards on through a lovely forested section until we reached the cement factory on the north west side of the island.

Nice quieter country roads with lots of lovely trees.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Here we turned eastwards along the coast and came upon the peaceful Tanjung Puteri Motel near Pantai Pasir Hitam or Black Sand Beach.  I think the village nearby is called Kampung Pasir Hitam but it may be Kampung Padang Lalang - they seem to merge into one another.

It seems to have everything we need at the moment -an internet connection that occasionally works, a deserted beach, access to food in the village and a lovely sense of calmness that has been missing on the rest of Langkawi.

We are going to park off here for three nights before heading back to Thailand.

Today's ride: 23 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,017 km (632 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0