Shiunji Memorial Park - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 13, 2018

Shiunji Memorial Park

This Shinto shrine was on the rock in front of where we slept last night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We woke up early to the sound of rain falling and resigned ourselves to packing up a wet tent.  Setting it up on concrete means we can't peg it our and if the inner presses too hard against the flysheet it gets wet.  In the end the damage was minimal but we packed up early, mainly because we needed to pee and the area was now full of anglers! 

We headed down to the 7-Eleven where we abused there toilets and internet connection before heading southwards.  The route and scenery was similar to yesterday's for the first half of the ride with lots of "holes in the wall".

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Murakami, where we took a long break (almost and hour) at a 7-Eleven, the coast flattened out and the last twenty five kilometers was pretty boring and we reached the campsite at Shiunji Memorial Park before two o'clock.  It's a "camping-jo" or auto campsite which are not known for being cheap.  However, our bill for the night is only 1620 yen and the facilities are pretty good.  There is an onsen opposite the entrance and a 7-Eleven a kilometer away so it is a pretty convenient place to stop before heading into Niigata tomorrow.

Today's ride: 70 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,933 km (1,200 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0