Shintomi - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

October 8, 2018

Shintomi

Another lazy day, even lazier than yesterday.  We cycled  southwards down route 10 with a gentle north easterly wind on our left shoulder.  It was pretty hot and humid so a tailwind wasn't what we really needed but the route was flat and any hills were short and gentle  After about twenty kilometers we managed to turn off route 10 onto route 302 which was much quieter and just as flat, leading us through small vegetable farms between the coast and route 10.  We stopped a number of times to have a look at the beaches for which this stretch of Kyushu is well known but they seem to have suffered at the hands of the typhoons and were covered in litter and debris.

Just before Takanabe we suddenly came upon a steep hill.

A sign post we didn't expect to see today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the top of the climb we cycled through tea plantations which were being harvested mechanically - it seems that volume and quality is what they are after.

Tea plantations in the most unlikely of areas.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Yesterday's initial target for the night was a free campsite at Shintomi, just north of Miyazaki city, but we onlky got there today soon after midday.  We wasted a couple of hours hanging about at the park to which the campsite is attached - it's amazing how luxurious boredom can feel after the last few weeks of frenetic working - before cycling off to the local, really great, onsen for a scrub and soak.  Then back to the campsite for an early night.

Today's ride: 46 km (29 miles)
Total: 2,958 km (1,837 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0