Matsuyama - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 28, 2018 to September 30, 2018

Matsuyama

A string north easterly wind sprang up when we went to bed last night and was still blowing when we woke up this morning.  It dropped as the day went on but we are still in line to feel the effects of the approaching Typhoon Trami over the weekend.  Because we have a lot of work to finish off and to be safe from the typhoon, we have booked into a hotel until Monday morning from when the weather promises to be good again.

Our route down to Matsuyama started on lovely quiet country roads and we had a long break at the first konbini that we found where we had some breakfast and plotted how to handle the typhoon, work and the weekend.

Soon after our break we bumped into our first non-Japanese cycle tourist since we arrived in Japan.  Sulivan Olivier is from Nice in France and is halfway through a three month meander through Japan.  We had a great chat along the side of the road before carrying on our way. 

With Sullivan Olivier
Heart 0 Comment 0

I've really missed chatting to fellow cycle tourists on this trip.  Even though we have passed so many Japanese cycle tourists, most have them have been very young and I assume too shy to strike up a conversation with an older couple of pale Africans.  The two with whom we have had conversations have been our age and the conversations started at campsites and not while on the road.

Whatever floats your boat (seen outside an American style diner on the road to Matsuyama)
Heart 0 Comment 0

We have checked into the Nest Hotel in central Matsuyama to work and ride out the coming typhoon.  What is interesting is that it has a bike storage rack in the lobby.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 2,600 km (1,615 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0