Kyoto - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2018

Kyoto

After a pretty good breakfast at the hotel, we started off slowly down a cycle path on the eastern shore of Lake Biwa towards Kyoto.

Breakfast in bed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
All packed and ready to leave the Hotel Chapel Christmas
Heart 1 Comment 0

The south-eastern side of the lake seems far less built up than the south-western side and there were many rice paddies, some of which were being harvested.  The Black Kites were having a ball feeding on the insects disturbed by the combine harvesters.

Black Kites feeding on the insects disturbed by the combine harvester.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our accommodation for the next two nights is in a studio flat near the Higashiyama area of Kyoto.  After settling in and having lunch and a short rest, we headed up to the Kiyomizu-dera, a famous temple about a kilometer away.

The usual tourist route to get to the Kiyomizu temple.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We used the lesser known quiet road through the cemetry.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The temple was established some twelve hundred years ago but the current buildings date from the seventeenth century and is built from wood without using a single nail.  Unfortunately, the main temple is being repaired and we could only see a small part of it.

Kiyomizu-dera
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kiyomizu-dera
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kiyomizu-dera
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 2,147 km (1,333 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0