Akita - The fifth step ... The length of Japan. - CycleBlaze

September 6, 2018

Akita

Today was destined to be a very special one - we were heading to Akita where we would be guests of Teisuke Sugawara, a friend of Hiro with whom we cycled on Hokkaido a few days back. 

The day started off very gently.  We had a good night next the hibiscus hedge and, after packing up, we brewed up some tea and coffee while watching the early morning walkers in the park.  A few of them stopped to greet us and attempt to chat.  We haven't got much further than explaining we are cycling from Soya Misake to Sata Misake, which usually elicits expressions of amazement.

Then it was off southwards into a strong headwind.  First of all on the busy route seven.  We tried a detout through the rice paddies but were soon back on the main road.

A detour through the paddiess.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rice heads looking full and heavy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then turned off onto route forty two, just as busy and narrower.   It was hard work all the way down to Akita.

We stopped at the mich-no-eki at the harbour where we had some lunch and took a trip to the top of the hundred meter high tower which has lovely views of the city and surroundings.

Akita from the top of the tower.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Then it was off to meet Teisuke.  He lives in the most wonderful house, over a hundred years old, near the station.

A quick pose on our arrival at Teisuke's house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


A shower and a cold beer to refresh ourselves.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Followed by dinner with a group of Teisuke's friends.

Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 71 km (44 miles)
Total: 1,567 km (973 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0