Camping - Tearing Down the Coast - CycleBlaze

Camping

What we didn't take were a tent, sleeping pads, a ground cloth, towels, flashlights, a camera, toilet paper, bug repellent, or sunscreen (The last item didn't exist.).  We shared a Boy Scout aluminum cook set and one extra cup. We only cooked a few times at the beginning of our tour. A week in we discarded all cooking and eating ware.

We never paid for camping.  There was no place and no one to pay.  We rode until we ate dinner, and then we found some open unclaimed beach or open ground and laid out the sleeping bags.  Ed particularly didn't like to sleep on the ground with the "creepy crawlies" so we looked for parks with picnic tables.  Our six pound cotton flannel sleeping bags offered only a minimum of cushioning.  I remember the tremendous difference in the hardness of a wooden table and a cement table.  I most liked sleeping on a soft sandy beach.  A few times we ask permission to sleep in someone's yard and were always given the OK.  There were no hiker/biker campgrounds in the state parks.  I don't remember seeing a single state park on the entire trip, but I think there must have been a few.  We never stayed in one. The big push to create state parks along the entire West Coast occurred in the 1970s and 80s.

We did on several occasions reluctantly book a night at a motel for the seemingly universal price of $5.00 a night.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0