“What the hell are you doing that for?” - Three old blokes tackle the Tasmania Trail - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2022

“What the hell are you doing that for?”

Golden Valley to Blackwood Creek

The wind howled last night making for a noisy and uncomfortable nights sleep, but thankfully little rain. I dreamt that my flat tyre had miraculously fixed itself. Alas no. It was still dark at 6.30 but I couldn’t sleep and with dark clouds looming and a crappy forecast, I packed up my gear, made a cup of tea in the kitchen shelter and planned to write my blog. That was until Bernadette from Burnie turned up. Bernie from Burnie definitely liked a chat and I was a captive audience. She was nice enough but 15 minutes would have been ample. She’d settled into a comfy armchair and pretended to read a book but I never saw her turn any pages.

I fixed my flat tyre after a lengthy battle with my tyre levers and almost took Bernie’s eye out when one flicked off the rim but she didn’t miss a beat. The guys eventually turned up for breakfast, Bernie wandered off and we were back on the road.

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 7 Comment 3
Rosie WindsorSpectacular!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Rosie WindsorThanks Rosie! We’re pretty buggered after a big day today. We’ve got a rest day after climbing to Bothwell tomorrow. Hope you’re well
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Cherie McLeanOne of my fav shots on your tour de tassie!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

After a short downhill it was straight into a climb but we knew today was going to be far more forgiving than yesterday. The dark clouds loomed but stayed away so all in all it was a good day in the saddle.

We stopped for morning tea at the old Liffey school house and rode on to Bracknell, the only town we’d pass today or tomorrow. Lunch in the park was greasy burgers and highlighted by an incredulous council worker who gave me the title of todays blog on asking what we were up to.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

The rest of today was flattish through farmland, heading towards the Western Tiers which will be our biggest climb of the trip. But that’s first thing tomorrow. Tonight we thought we were in a disused former schoolhouse at Blackwood Creek but we’d misread the map and it was actually the place we had morning tea at.

Blackwood Creek has about 5 houses one of which is owned by Roger, a fifth generation farmer and local who suggested we camp at the church. He followed us up the road on his quad bike and showed us through the recently rebuilt church courtesy of a deceased single farmer bequeathing his estate.

He wasn't shy at dropping the ‘F’ bomb even whilst leaning on the pulpit discussing the possible inbreeding in the local community. “You kick one and twelve start limping”.  Thanks for that Roger!

So Roger, do you get many people going to church now that you’ve rebuilt it? Roger replies”No one here goes to f…… church son!”
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rosie WindsorDen I’m laughing out loud so often. You write a great blog/ journal!
I love“ kick one and 12 start limping” new gold for me.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Unfortunately Roger turned out be a climate change denier and the friendly banter came to a shuddering halt. 
Dinner might be interesting tonight. Egg noodles with salami snap peas capsicum and a Cantonese chicken sauce. That’s all they had!

Heart 4 Comment 1
Cherie LangleyI know you’d have eaten that interesting meal - how was it? 🙂😳
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
They can smell the Cantonese chicken sauce.
Heart 7 Comment 2
Cherie LangleyI love this photo!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rosie WindsorChristmas card photo- you’re getting a few!!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago

Today's ride: 45 km (28 miles)
Total: 281 km (175 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sandra LawnHi Guys

Throughly enjoying following your journal from my arm chair in NZ.
Great pictures on first days extreme tag team pushing up hills, been there done that on the Munda Bidda, no one ever quite gets how steep and tough it can be but your great photos truely show how it really is …..which in reality means it was worse!!

Well done guys
Have fun and hope you find decent food soon
Cheers
Sandy

Is Ya just gotta have those camping chairs
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Dennis LangleyTo Sandra LawnThanks Sandra. Having fun! Just hoping the rain stays away today. You’re right in that photos never capture how steep or difficult it is.
I’m planning on the Munda Biddable next year. Dennis
Reply to this comment
2 years ago