Taos- Antonito: New Mexico doesn't want us to leave, headwinds are keeping us here! - Six days until Taos - CycleBlaze

June 16, 2016

Taos- Antonito: New Mexico doesn't want us to leave, headwinds are keeping us here!

We have certainly done lots of sleeping in this trip. I could get used to the routine. Last summer Oren and I were up at 5, departing at 6. This summer we have been up at 6, leaving at 7. We had a couple of days that breakfast was included and not served until later. Today was one of those days. I wasn't going to miss Casa Benavides' breakfast! Jacinto set the alarm for 6:30 and I actually slept that long.

I tried to have everything organized for a quick departure after eating. It was a 60 mile day and we still had to drive after finishing. The real wild card was the wind. It has been strong the past couple of days and forecast to be stronger today.

We were in the dining room at 7:20. The guys were there already, starting in on tasty homemade granola. Coffee. Lots of coffee! The server came around and asked what main dish we would like. Waffles or pancakes were a choice. I knew in advance I wanted the egg casserole with green chiles. It was too easy to sit and chat when we really needed to get on the road. I was out front ready to go at 8:30. We had said our good byes over breakfast, as everyone would be heading different directions once they got in.

I was very happy with myself for remembering how to get out of town. Right out of the B&B, and a right on 64. How easy is that? Pedal, pedal. There is heavy traffic, but everyone is friendly. 3.53 miles from town, 64 takes a left. It is well marked. I thought the ride would be slow/uphill as we had been fast on the way in yesterday. Nope - I'm moving along well. Some traffic splits off, some stays with me. I'm still moving along.

The first area of note is the Rio Grande Bridge. It's a big deal. We checked it out in detail on the last trip. Today I kept moving. I could see Marty ahead of me. Ken had stopped at the rest room and merged in right ahead of Marty. He was so close, I thought he might say good bye one more time. No. Ken kept right on pedaling. Marty was also moving right along today and stayed ahead of me.

Unfortunately, after the bridge the road took an upward turn and the headwind picked up. Miles 12-30 sucked. Sorry for the explicitness, but that is the best description. The wind was not friendly at all. Lots of dirt gathered in my eyes. We were climbing the whole way. My good breakfast wore off and I started eating bars. I also had some BBQ chips that Jacinto had tired of carrying. The salt tasted good. I had enough Spiz left for another half bottle. Then I was out. I had been carefully monitoring my usage to judge how much Spiz I needed for the next trip.

Traffic dropped way off after the airport and the gravel pit.

I had stopped for some photos and a bush stop. It took me almost an hour to catch up with Marty. We stopped for a break and discussed the possibility of his joining us for part of the big trip. I finally passed him and was left to my own misery in the wind.

Jacinto had said he would be along right behind me, but I hadn't seen him yet. Had he discovered another flat tire? That would be a bummer. But he had found the wire yesterday and thought that was the culprit.

I saw flashing lights heading toward me. It was a state patrol. He pulled over to tell me a wide load was coming. I didn't see it yet, so continued on. A second state patrol drove straight for me and flashed his lights. I took that to mean he thought I should get off now, before the wide load was in sight? I pulled off and at more salty chips. Yum. The wide load was two halves of a mobile home. I wonder where it came from?

I was waiting and waiting to arrive in Tres Piedras to make the right hand turn onto 285. Hopefully, that would give us a tailwind.

Yes! That's what happened. The road leveled off and the wind was mostly behind me. All the sudden my current speed jumped back up in the 14 mph range from the 9 mph range. Wind is a hard foe.

I was counting the miles down, ready to be done. Luckily, the numbers were turning quickly. The Colorado state line was just four miles from Antonito. Our motel was on this side of town. Just as I pulled into the lot, here came Jacinto driving around from the back parking lot. Perfect timing. Tom had gone inside to see if we could pay for showers. Yes. $5. each. A bargain compared to driving five hours, stuck to the seat with my own sweat.

We said one last good bye to Tom after his shower, then took ours. We drove the half hour to Alamosa to eat at a good Mexican buffett there. Calvino's is right on Hwy 64. $11. each with a wide variety of food. They had an excellent selection of fresh fruits, strawberries, melons, pineapple, even mango. Jacinto was in hog heaven. He must have had at least five plates of food. The entire time he moaned that he was eating too much - he had burned off 2,000 calories and eating 4,000. That didn't keep him from going back again and again.

Side note - after we got home we both weighed. I lost two ounces. Jacinto was amazed that the scale doesn't say he gained weight. But he still feels guilty for eating so much.

We had an excellent trip. Good weather, good friends, friendly traffic, and very scenic. This is a great loop if you enjoy climbing. I would recommend all of the lodging, but caution about the strong cigarette smell at the casino. Nancy in Angel Fire was very nice, but if your bike is too big to carry up to the second or third floors - she's kind of fussy about where the bike goes. Her motel is the only motel in town. Otherwise it is condos.

Food was overall subpar. Little roads going to little towns are the best cycling. However, that means that there's not much choice on food.

I would suggest a New Mexico tour without hesitation.

Breakfast was worth waiting for. We ate tasty homemade granola with peaches and yogurt followed by a green chili egg casserole.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom is the first out the door this morning. Finally, a good shot of his Fuji.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This ranch gate was worth stopping for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were four of these huge beasts. One looked up briefly. It had a wide head with horns. Long black hair. Are they yaks? I'm quite sure they are not cattle. I tried to get one to look up again for a better photo, but did not succeed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scenery for the morning. Note that the wind is catching my flag streamers.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old train water storage tank in Tres Piedras. The train line was called the chili line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I am not at all surprised there is a Wind Mountain in this area. The wind swirled all around. Life was grand when the wind was in my favor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tom had stopped back at the Chili Line Depot for coffee and cake to fortify him for the last 30 miles.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A nice Wild West shot complete with cowboy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Antonito was only four miles past this sign. Notice that I have removed my flag due to the wind. It is velcroed to the top tube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Colorado! Mountains!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacinto was astounded I had worked hard enough for my shirt to have sweat stains. Yep, fighting the wind takes effort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
No beer to celebrate tonight. We are driving. A root beer will have to do.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 miles (98 km)
Total: 395 miles (636 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sandra LawnHi Kelly
I see your name has disappeared from the ‘other website’ so pleased to find you here. How did you go about putting your early journals onto Cycle Blaze?
Seriously looking at putting my Febuary ride on here.
Cheers
Sandy
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Kelly IniguezSandy,

Thank you for checking in on me. My 2017 and newer journals are in a que here to be added. Jeff says he has quite a back log after the recent exodus from you know where.

On that site, if you go to your 'my' page, there's a tab at the top to ask for a download of any journals you check mark. Then it comes to you in a file that you have three days to download. I just forwarded that file to Jeff. He has mine downloaded, but now needs to make the magic happen for them to appear here.

I have yet to start a new journal here. We will be in the Tucson area for two weeks starting tomorrow! I plan to ride 42 miles daily (if I say it out loud, then I have to do it, right?) but haven't been planning to journal here as I'm not going anywhere but in circles.

I got the 42 miles a day idea from Rachel Anderson as that's her minimum ride . . .

Tell me about your February trip!

Kelly
Reply to this comment
3 years ago