In Béjar (a photo album) - The Seven Year Itch - CycleBlaze

April 27, 2024

In Béjar (a photo album)

We were in Béjar for three nights and got more breaks in the weather than we expected, so there’s a lot to look back on.  Saturday morning I went out briefly to check out the neighborhood during a break in the rains, so here’s a bit of a look at the town that concentrates on the west end.  I’ve got three batches from our stay here to fit in and this one has the least to say about it, so we’ll just dump some photos as a reminder to us or a lure to you.

And regarding that last point.  It was a disruption to our plans to be working around the weather like this again, but we’re really pleased about the way it worked out.  Béjar is a terrific little place, well worth the time we spent here.

Another view from our apartment’s modest deck, looking west toward the next plaza. Not raining at the moment, might as well check the place out.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Most of the streets in the older end of town look like this. Tallish buildings that block out the sunlight give them a somewhat gloomy look.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There are quite a few arcades in town. The place must see some rain.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
The ducal palace, built in the sixteenth century on the remains of the Arab alcazaba.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Karen PoretInteresting the top oval shape windows (?) on right have a cross point but left side are crosses. Different ownership, perhaps?
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Keith AdamsTo Karen PoretThe doors on the middle level are different as well, so you may be onto something. Spanish version of a duplex?
Reply to this comment
1 week ago
Heart 3 Comment 0
The snow level dropped to not far above the town last night, making it clear we’ve done the right thing. In the original plan we’d be almost two thousand feet higher up in Navarredonda de Gredos about now.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 1
Karen PoretThat’s a dead end alright..
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
The ducal palace, a bit of a rainbow, and our favorite restaurant in town.
Heart 4 Comment 0
A common sight in this region.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The town has several longitudinal streets that run along the ridge, connected for the most part by short, steep streets and alleys like this.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Karen PoretGood practice for stairclimbers ;)
Reply to this comment
2 weeks ago
Another one. It’s been an off and on morning that keeps me close to the apartment.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another short, step staircase.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another of these streets. They look quiet, but occasionally a car rattles through and forces you up against the wall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mostly though the streets are empty and safe to walk a long as you’re paying attention.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The church of San Juan Bautista.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Back at the apartment, which faces on the Cervantes Theater. The Cervantes connection with the town apparently is that he was such a big fan of the Duke and Duchess of Béjar that he dedicated the first chapter of Don Quixote to them.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0