Riding high: From Cremieu to Aix-les-Bains - The Last of the Summer Wine - CycleBlaze

October 15, 2014

Riding high: From Cremieu to Aix-les-Bains

Most exercise gurus I have read say that one should warm up gradually before doing something really strenuous. But most exercise gurus are not cycletouorists, and they are definitely not me. So right out of Cremieu this morning I took the road to Dizimieu, with its first kilometer maxing out near 12 percent. At least I got warm in the morning fog. Working my way to the top of the climb, the skies started to clear, and finally I broke free onto the plateau of the Isle de Cremieu. The Alps were before me and the euphoria brough on by oxygen debt and endorphins had me grinning and singing to the winds. The long descent back to the valley of the Rhone was a treat, but one I felt I was owed. I stopped in Morestel to buy water and sports drink, and rode easily along the valley to St; Genix-sur-Guiers. I missed a turn into the village, but after a kilometer got turned around and back to St. Genix for lunch. I found a nice bar restaurant with a menu du jour of salad, steak (bavette), fries, veggies, and dessert. The food was delicious and the day looked to be very promising.

The morning climb, at the top of the steep bit. The dirt road to the side is actually going down here, giving you an idea of how steep the asphalt is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Still going up. Taken in the oposite direction to the first picture. Only about 6% at this point.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Alps in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After turning north and retracing my steps to St. Didier, I crossed the Rhone to try to find the via Rhona again. I found it in Murs les Geligneux, but it ended soon enough, and I was spit out on a route Departmental. By now, the weather was beginning to change and the sky became progressively more overcast. I rode along, sometimes on the bike path, soetimes on the route departmental until I got to Belley. Giving the weather I decided to look for a hotel, but there was no room at either of the two hotels in Belley, so I got back on the Via Rhona and continued upstream. Leaving the bike route near Culoz, I again looked for a hotel, and with the same luck. Having covered more than 100 kilometers, and felling tired, I checked in at the railway station. There was a train leaving in ten minutesd for Aix-les-Bains, and I got on it. Aix had lots of hotels to choose from, and I found a suitable one just across from the gare.

Murs means "walls". Geology writ large in Murs, France.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bike tunnel on the Via Rhona between Belley and Culoz.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Aix is a splendid example of a spa town. Belle Epoche architecture, a casino, a vast public garden complete with bandstands and an outdoor theater. I wandered around town until dark, snapping a few photos, and then headed to dinner in a small restaurant. Local fish from Lake Bourget, served with locar wine.

Art deco mosaic on the public gymnasium in Aix
Heart 0 Comment 0
Art nouveau hotel, Aix
Heart 0 Comment 0
A funerary arch dating to Roman times in Aix. Erected by L. Pompeius Campanus in the first century, it origially bore the busts of his ancestors.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 104 km (65 miles)
Total: 155 km (96 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0