Ploermel to Redon - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 1, 2023

Ploermel to Redon

Mayday all day. Easy cycling beside water.

Leaving the tiny house is the reverse of our arrival- lowering our bags and panniers carefully in the limited space available and reversing down the narrow stairway. A bit like doing Everest in reverse - without the Hilary Step.

All good, we pick up today’s trail almost where we left off and after that it’s simply a day of pedalling really- pleasant and necessary for building strength. It’s a public holiday though- May Day. We know this because this morning there was a very loud but stirring parade. I see how  revolutions happen. The beat of a drum stirs the soul. Add in some strange but remarkably catatonic sound from other instruments and it’s away with heads.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Malestroit we stop for elevenses and recall our 2016 visit when a music festival was in full swing. Today we are privileged to hear one musical item as a chap sitting near the centre bursts into song with a beautifully melodic Celtic folk tune. We clap at the end.

The solo singer of Celtic songs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cow power on high.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

The trail wends its bucolic way south at a good pace and always we are accompanied by birdsong. We even hear cuckoos now, echoing through woody areas. Amazing how like the clock they sound. Or is it vice versa?

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At St Vincent sur Oust we find the same cafe beside the river where in 2016 I enjoyed an ice cream, so we decide to repeat the process. Outdoor activities are going on. We’re in admiration of these young French children haring up rock faces and the really young ones performing all kinds of tricks on high ropes and flying foxes, cheered on by parents and grandparents.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We reach our apartment in Redon reasonably early and enjoy some relaxing time in a comfortable place. The bikes have a discreet spot on the terrace at the back of the building. I throw over the faithful dropcloth, attach it with a few hair ties ( these can be found anywhere these days and we’ve found over 10 uses for them on tour!) and wish them goodnight. I hunker down with another audible chapter from C J Box. Can’t decide if he’s a bit of a red neck but his yarns are ripping.

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 444 km (276 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rich FrasierEvery time I hear a cuckoo in the wild, I'm amazed. They DO sound exactly like the clocks, which seems very weird to me.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Mary HutchingDoes CJ Box write Western detective stuff or is that someone else I'm thinking of?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago