Market day and Cabriēres to Apt - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2023 to June 5, 2023

Market day and Cabriēres to Apt

An Apt choice

Sunday is market day. These are the usual open markets, though we are told that each market has its own rules. At some farmers markets, no foreign fruit or vegetables are  permitted. Local produce only. Coustelet market seems to include most things.

In talking about life in the Luberon we also learn about the extent to which the arts, especially music is fostered in the area. Funds from government are provided to encourage local musicians and singers to develop their talents and perform and to bring in talent from outside too. From the description of some of the groups meeting for discussion of books, films and performances of music, there are many different nationalities living here.

From Coustelet  market we go to the L’Isle sur La Sorgue where another market is in progress. We decide to test the temperature of the spring water flowing through the town. It’s a fresh 13 degrees and apparently remains constantly that way year round.

Following our foray we drive back to our abode and enjoy the fruits of the morning’s markets.



Garlic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spring water flowing through L’Isle sur Sorgue.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then it’s Monday and time to leave what has been home here in Cabriēres for the last two days. We’re packed, ready to go and do our farewells. Nico, the spaniel, hasn’t quite latched on and wants me to continue throwing his ball.

Heart 2 Comment 0

“I find thee apt, And duller shouldst thou be than the fat weed That roots itself in ease on Lethe wharf, Wouldst thou not stir in this.“ For those who know your Hamlet, there’s another apt.
Today we’re only going as far as Apt, but I hope to find a bike shop open where I can buy more brake pads after being sold the wrong size on Friday. 

The path is a continuation of the Cavalon route and it’s an easy ride. At Les Beaumettes we stop for a leisurely coffee and then move on to see the Pont Julien. It’s a tribute to Roman engineering that it’s lasted into this age, even, until recently, having trucks crossing it.

The Luberon
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The pellaton hits the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pont Julien.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

When we reach Apt, we lunch until the bike shop opens, when I buy the new pads, install them in the shade and we then head for the tourism office for maps and advice. The young woman behind the desk assures me we should not try to take the road from Reillanne to Manosque as it’s too steep. We’ll see.

Heart 2 Comment 0

We find our hotel, the Aptois, which has most things we need - bike lockup, a room where everything works well and breakfast. Later there’s an enormous thunderstorm and the rain comes down. Another plus - the room is also watertight.

Hotel roof.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,596 km (991 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0