Apt to Reillanne - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

June 6, 2023

Apt to Reillanne

Climbing in the Luberon

After a wonderful breakfast in the Aptois dining room, we pack and wheel our loaded bikes straight out of the hotel door. We find the Cavaillon trail and continue towards Cēreste on a slightly upward climb. The landscape begins to close in a little but there are still wide area of crops and farmhouses regularly dotted over the landscape. 

Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
After last night’s storm, the rivers and creeks are decidedly muddy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lots of these little critters trying to cross the trail. They’re actually not so little and might provide a satisfying meal to anyone that way inclined.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


As we approach Cēreste the road starts to climb. The gradient is ok - it’s just a matter of working away at it until we reach the top- for at least a couple of kilometres. We stop at Cēreste for bread and ā fortifying pain au chocolat. From here we’re heading for Reillanne where we’re staying the night. There’s another steeper, but shorter climb and the road flattens out a little as we head towards Reillanne whose ramparts we see in the distance. Firstly we cross the an old pont from the 17th century, still in good working order and the come to a dip between the hills to where was once a priory; Prieuré de Carluc. It’s a bit of an Ozymandias moment because the valley, once a place of activity, is now only the site of a barren chapel.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The site that was once a priory.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old chapel.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From here it’s a short, but then steep climb up to Liberation Place in Reillanne. We lunch in the shade and at 3:00 head across to our accommodations. Our host, smiling greets us outside as we approach her house. She shows us our room and helps us put our bikes in the garage. 

Later we take a walk around the village to a high point marked by a tower and a chapel.

Liberation Place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The tragedy of war. Possibly five sons lost from the same family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where we’ve come from today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 33 km (20 miles)
Total: 1,629 km (1,012 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0