La Rochelle to Saintes - Retyrement on 2 Wheels 7 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2023

La Rochelle to Saintes

Starting La Flow Velo the easy way.

After a final meet and walk around the harbour area, with our friends Barbara and Brent, we return and pack, retrieve our bikes from the lockup, load up and head for the train 11:28 train to Saintes. We’ve decided to cut to the chase a little with the Flow Velo since the start covers ground we visited in 2018, coming up from Rochefort.

La Rochelle’s imposing station.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Georges Simenon connection to La Rochelle Railway Station.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We used lifts to get our bikes to platform E, load up easily and settle down for a comfortable ride in the warmth, rocked by the gentle rhythm of the rails. After about an hour we are thrust from this cosy cocoon onto the platform of Saintes railway station. There seem to be two way of exiting this station- one is over a simple crossing that is a few metres down from us. A multi coloured plastic chain has been used to form a barrier to anyone wishing to avail themselves of this mode of egress. No matter, it is easily unhooked and we’re soon on our way towards the station ‘sortie’. The full force of the law then descends upon us, as the station master in a particularly elegant uniform explains in the mildest of terms that we ought to have used the stairs. We tell him that next time we will.

Saintes, appropriately, is a fairly saintly looking town once we have a look about. After leaving the station we head for the Abbaye, a place we had considered an accommodation possibility. Here, it begins to rain quite heavily and it’s also rather cold. We hover in the doorway to the church and when the rain continues, we decide to eat the rolls Ann prepared earlier. It’s a little weird but probably fits in with the loaves and fishes story fairly appropriately.

Lunch at the Abbaye
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Abbaye Des Dames.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the church’s colourful tapestries.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We then head to our accommodation and are delighted to find a place a small way out of town, with a pleasant garden and plenty of space inside for us to prepare food and eat. The host, Catherine is just lovely and says we can bring our bikes inside.
Soon the weather clears and we head down to the Charente river. The river is a beautiful green in colour and the water level is high. There are several boats plying their way up and down.

Arc of Germanicus. This formed the entrance to the city from the road from Lyon. It must have been a long road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0


Further exploration reveals the role the Romans played here. The remains of an amphitheatre which was capable of holding an audience of 18,000, originated in 40 AD. Despite the fact that much of it has disappeared, it’s still ā dramatic sight.

Roman amphitheatre- as big as Rome’s colosseum.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The amphitheatre still has modern use.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We finish our short tour looking at a number of other interesting buildings. It’s quite astonishing how many there are related to the arts and religion.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We find a Coop, buy supplies    follow the river and cut back up to the place we’re staying where we enjoy an early dinner and an early night. Train rides are exhausting!

Today's ride: 14 km (9 miles)
Total: 861 km (535 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0