In Croatia: Plitvices Lakes National Park - Mar y Tierra Around Spain - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2023 to September 27, 2023

In Croatia: Plitvices Lakes National Park

Tuesday we departed Budapest for Croatia in the capable hands of our driver Roc, a Slovenian who is utterly charming, funny, and a steady hand at the wheel. I don't love all the long bus days, but we have been completely comfortable as he steers the huge rig safely on busy highways and mountainous terrain.

Roc travels with a BMX and a mountain bike in the hold of the bus. We had fun geeking out with him on bike tech.
Heart 3 Comment 0

At a mid-morning pit-stop, Barry ventured into a workout corral and inspired more of our group to try out the apparatus. Not a bad way to move the blood around. 

Sue on the ab cruncher
Heart 0 Comment 0
Larry on an elliptical thingie
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pete tries out the inversion table. This one was pretty fun.
Heart 2 Comment 0

After crossing into Croatia we stopped for lunch at a little country inn. A gravel path runs by the property and signs welcome cyclists. 

Looks like a friendly place to camp.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice spread of local treats with small bites for sampling
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our destination was the Hotel Jezero in Plitvice Lakes National Park.  It's tour bus central here so there was a huge crowd in the buffet-style dining room. The set up handles the hordes pretty well. Our group is very enjoyable to travel with. There's always someone to sit down with and get to know over a meal. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Peter, Laura and Tom
Heart 1 Comment 0

The park's system of boardwalks and trails connect 16 lakes and countless waterfalls. The Rick Steves tour folks are experts in how to beat the crowds. Instead of starting at the bottom and walking up like many visitors, we took the tram to the top and hiked down. 

Ducks on the tranquil lake
Heart 0 Comment 0
The park had the feel of a rain forest as we walked through on the wooden boardwalks. Waterfalls were small and somewhat hidden at the start, but we heard the water rushing everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Such a tranquil place. I've never seen anything quite like it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Lush green plants and flowers cover the banks
Heart 1 Comment 0
Muscular roots claim this tree's territory
Heart 3 Comment 0
Jill dances down the trail by one of the waterfalls
Heart 2 Comment 0
The waterfalls were full from the rain the day before.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Kathy and Glenn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Stunning views around every turn
Heart 2 Comment 0
Wowie!
Heart 5 Comment 0
Barb and John
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 0
After the first 3 miles on the boardwalk, we took a ferry across one of the lakes and continued our hike on the other side.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heidi, John and Jill on the boat
Heart 1 Comment 0
The wooden boardwalks are well maintained, but they could use some more railings.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Keith AdamsTo have *more* railings, they'd first need to have *any* railings.
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Hanging gardens
Heart 2 Comment 0
So much beauty
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0

Towards th end the crowds got very heavy on the narrow boardwalk. If you come, start early. 

One last view before we drive on to Rovinj for the night.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0