Sahagún - The twelfth step ... Three months in Spain - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2022

Sahagún

Leigh was still pretty rough this morning so we didn't want to go too far.  There is an albergue in Sahagún in a convent that is run by monks of the Marist Brothers (yes, monks in a convent does sound weird) does I had read about and I thought it would be a good place for the night so that is where we headed.

Mostly flat wheat fields with the occasional poppy. Note the avenue of trees on the left. The local municipality has provided a path alongside the road for the pilgrims with regular rest areas with tables and chairs, and has planted tress along the path to provide shade.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Next to the convent in Sahagún is this lovely arch that used to be the facade of a church, built in the the seventeenth century. Nothing of the church remains apart from this archway.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The Albergue Santa Cruz run by the Marist Brothers in the Monasterio de Santa Cruz Benedictinas is very different to what we have experienced so far.  Their objectives are unashamedly of a proselytizing nature and the "processing" of pilgrims who enter borders on institutional but their generosity cannot be denied.  I am glad we decided to spend a night here.

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,921 km (1,193 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0