Packing Up - Grampies Iberian Inquisition Spring 2023 - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2023

Packing Up

The evolving plan for this trip has involved an ever shrinking extent to which we will range out from Porto. Now, although we certainly will be doing an extensive ride, it is not clear that we will ever leave the one country. The route has been shaped in this way by the gentle pressure of a pair of unlikely agents -two bike boxes. These inert objects seem to have a gravitational force that keeps us in their orbit - especially when they will be resting in a garage in Porto.

Now that we are going with bike boxes, now that we actually got them from our local bike shop, and now that we have adjusted our air fares and cycle routing to suit them, the time came to in fact pack them.

Given the huge size of a bike box compared to a plastic bag designed for an easy chair, or to a regular sized suitcase supplied by Bike Friday, it would seem a no brainer to put the bikes inside. 

Well not really, because of course nothing is ever simple. The two boxes that we got could be described as big, and bigger. But the dimensions for them are (in inches) 55 x 7.5 x 30 and 54 x 9.5 x 32.  The bigger one - the one that is 9.5 wide - boasts 1/3 more volume than the slightly smaller one. The bikes also have some differences between them, but the first fact is that both are longer than the boxes. The bike shop suggested turning the front wheels backwards, but no, still too long. That meant the wheels had to come off. And still the fronts had to be turned backwards, because of the racks.

Even scrunched down like this, that bike is not going to fit.
Heart 0 Comment 0

With the front wheels off there was  the question of where to stash the wheels, which had to share space with the also removed handle bars/steering tubes and seat posts/saddles. We ripped one box shoving the wheel in. And with the wheels gone, the spiky rack bottoms wanted to poke through the bottom of the box. So we had to find some reinforcement for the box bottoms and add tape/cardboard to the ripped box beside the wheel.

With the narrower box, the derailleur protector  had to come off. With the wide box we took the derailleur off too, but that turned out not to be necessary.

Once the bikes were in, and the tight fitting situations handled, the boxes revealed quite a lot of spare space here and there.  Other cyclists sneak bike accessories - like helmets, water bottles, and maybe cycling clothes and bags in there. They seem to get away with it, though airlines prohibit that. But we had already paid for our checked bag. Despite dropping helmets and locks in there,  we still had the bikes rattling in the spare space.

That's where an amusing part came in. We usually buy pizza from a local shop called Moo's. When we do it, we buy two "larges". That gives us two large pizza boxes, only a little cheesy. But the Canadian chain Panago has "extra large". Ooo, extra large boxes. We went out to get some Panago. Admittedly we did eat the pizza and did not go only for the boxes! This almost differs from Amazon, who often send a box that almost seems worth more than the contents!

Yes, Moo's can be right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
But Panago is bigger!
Heart 0 Comment 0
We hope security does not sniff the "organic tomato sauce"!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The boxes are weighing in easily at 60 pounds, well under the 70 pound limit. The bikes have been happily sleeping in there for a week, so smug in their precious homes, with the pizza box insulation.

In Porto we will put signs on the boxes "Por favor, não remova!" (Please do not remove). Significantly, our first foray into the Portuguese language!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 9
Brent IrvineAfter all this sorting, traveling and running around ... 'Retiro de Se'... small family-run restaurant near the cathedral in Porto, right across from the market. Great traditional place with excellent prices. Doesn't look it from the outside but totally different once inside. A true find.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Brent IrvineThanks for the tip, we have made a note of it and if time and energy allows we will check it out.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetThe first time I packed my bike in a cardboard box, it took 3 hours. Al and I were working at it in our basement before our first big cycle tour together, in 1992. As we have always done, we each packed our own bike. He had done it before, packed his bike in a box, but I hadn't. He should have known it was a bad idea to do it in the basement, but then he was the one who had to carry the boxes up the stairs.

We started by removing the pedals and turning the handlebars and then kept taking parts off until the bike fit, hence the 3 hours. We had a few days, so no panic. In those days, there was only a weight limit, so we stuffed in our camping gear and everything else, taped the boxes up, and crossed our fingers that they weren't overweight. Our travel agent had gotten us tickets that included free bicycle transport.

The panic came when it was time to fly home. Where could we find bike boxes in Paris? If we packed our bikes at our hotel, how would we get them to CDG? Somehow, we were told that boxes were available at the airport. We set off for the airport very early, allowing 3 hours to get our bikes into the boxes once there.

However, we discovered that the boxes wouldn't be provided until check-in, and we couldn't check in until 3 hours before the flight. It might have been even less time; things have changed a lot in the past 30 years! In any case, the boxes provided were gigantic, the size Via Rail uses. Pedals off, turn the handlebars, deflate the tires, and drop the bike in. A 10-minute job.

We kept those boxes stored away in the basement for years, hoping to use them again, but they had to go when our basement became living space. No matter, they would be subject to oversize fees on any airline these days for sure.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Jacquie GaudetIt was great to read your comment. Not only was it interesting, but it helped to affirm the central role that bike boxes seem to have assumed in our current tour. Still, some other cyclists seem to arrive in their destination city, tootle over to a random bike shop and get the exact right boxes, strap them to their bikes, and back to the hotel, where they quickly pack and zap, they are home! It can't possibly be that easy?

For example, the "free airport shuttle" at our place in Porto became 45 euros when they learned we would have bike boxes. We are just losers in the sport of bike boxing!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetWe often book airport hotels for the first and last nights of a tour just for that reason. The nine-hour time change usually wipes us out so we wouldn't be going far anyway, and there's always the possibility that our bikes won't arrive on the same flight. I check before booking that the last-night hotel is willing to store our cases (whether we leave them there or ship them there).

We find our current wheeled cases much easier to use and move around than boxes, but the giant hard case Al has borrowed a few times is like a box on wheels and after our first trip with my current case, he went out and bought his own. I think if I were going to use a box again, I'd also go back to assembling my bike at the airport.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI’ve been lurking above this discussion with interest. As frustrating as it was having our suitcases lost last year (a first, in about twenty tours involving them), it would take a lot to convince me to go back to boxes or plastic bags. There is so much added work, hassle, expense and risk involved. Never again!

It’s a shame that something as tangential to the point of traveling is affecting your plans on this tour so much. Also, I don’t know if you have any of those stopovers whether you’ll have to pointlessly reclaim your luggage and schlep it across the customs line, but that’s triply annoying when you have to manage those suitcases as a part of it, shuffling through a long line. Good luck!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezI'm reading of a man who was on the Great Divide route, his crashed into a boulder, broke seven ribs, had to be airlifted, etc. End of story is his medical insurance didn't cover Canada, and he was out $34,000. That made me think of Dodie in Mexico. It also made me think of our upcoming trip, all of those cobblestones, what if I fall? What do you do for insurance while bicycle touring?
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Kelly IniguezThis question probably hinges on a Canada US health insurance difference. Canadians pay nothing directly for most health care. Consequently they carry no special health insurance normally. So for travel it's needed to buy special coverage from a private company. That will cover all countries and all non insane sports or activities. Notably most companies want to know if you are going to the US, the most costly place for them.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
Kelly IniguezI just spent a half hour digging around in our health insurance policy. It does say that it covers international health care - just two lines in a 141 page document. That's not real reassuring, and it doesn't cover any sort of emergency transportation or plane tickets home.

It's hard to know which private travel insurance company is reputable.
Reply to this comment
11 months ago