Paris to Bordeaux - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 12, 2019

Paris to Bordeaux

Ready, set, go!

Sleeping is still not sound for either of us but getting up was not too difficult either. Although the riding today is very minimal, the tour officially is on it's way! We said au revoir to our cosy apartment and headed out on the deserted early Sunday morning streets. The weather was clear skies and a slightly cool 8 degrees. We are very happy that the rain has passed western Europe for now and we will begin our tour with dry conditions.

Along our route we noticed a street market just beginning to open so we ducked into the awning covered tunnel with vendors on both sides. The collection of vendors turned into blocks and blocks of kiosks carrying the finest fresh ingredients perfect for any receipe you could imagine, all beautifully displayed.  We so want to shop here......always. It is incredible to see the effort made to set up these magnificent displays of food and often they are completely taken apart by 1pm and you never know they were there.

Ever wonder how those big beautiful pans of paella in the markets get started? Now you know!
Heart 1 Comment 0
These mushrooms are just beginning to fry. They go with fresh potatoes and rotisserie chicken for a great dinner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Early Sunday morning street markets as the vendors set up and the early birds arrive. We were amazed at the length of this market.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We arrived at the station with enough time to pick up a fresh premade sandwich for the trip. We find car 8 and bike storage for two. Easy.  We chose this station and route as it was a bit more economical but two hours slower than the high speed TVG line. We like train travel and to us an extra couple of hours seeing the French country side is time well spent.  

Pat in front of the train station in Bordeaux.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We arrived at Gare de Bordeaux-Saint-Jean right on time at 13:35 and found our way through an underground car park to the street. The station was beautiful. It has a modern interior but has  retained its original grand exterior. We rode bike paths along Bordeaux's waterfront, along with many people enjoying the sunny Sunday, to our apartment. We find riding amidst throngs of pedestrians  more challenging than car traffic but we are in no hurry and are also enjoying the moment. The location of our new home is perfect - right next to Place de la Bourse - along the main promenade next to the Garonne River. 

The water in the Garonne is a silt  brown colour  as it heads out toward the Atlantic Ocean. The Dordogne flows into the Garonne just north of Bordeaux and the Lot and Tarn flow in from the south. It is a significant waterway and the port was the key to Bordeaux's origins. At one time Bordeaux was France’s busiest port and the second busiest port in the world after London.

We dropped our panniers at our apartment and headed back out along Bordeaux's waterfront and over the Pont de Pierre. It is a pedestrian and tram only bridge that took us to the east side of the river - where we enjoyed a beer in the sun. The pub on the corner facing the river just seemed to call us in! 

Scott with a Kilkenny. He asked the bartender if they had any local beer. No such luck - this is France.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Garonne.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arcins-François-Mitterrand bridge. Inside those towers are spiral staircases which would make you very dizzy if you climbed to the top.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued riding along the main road and back and forth into different areas before crossing  the modern looking pedestrian friendly  . We then continued among hundreds of people enjoying the stroll along the river front. The riding, or coasting was more like  it,  was a great way to explore Bordeaux.

After a pub dinner which included a real english IPA for Scott (finally a real beer he says) we walked the old part of the city and significant shopping areas (closed thankfully) before calling it day. Tomorrow we will really actually ride to Saint Emilion.

Porte Cailhau. This fortified gate into Bordeaux was built in 1495.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Lots of english type pubs doing a brisk business on Sunday night. The fact that Bordeaux is a university town helps too.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Bordeau Hôtel de ville (City Hall) occupies the former archbishop's palace, called Palais Rohan. An impressive structure.
Heart 2 Comment 0

                    

Today's ride: 10 km (6 miles)
Total: 30 km (19 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0