Bordaux to Saint - Émilion - Wake up, Maggie, I think it's time to get back on tour - CycleBlaze

May 13, 2019

Bordaux to Saint - Émilion

A nice day to be out for a ride.

We both had  great sleeps last night and think  we may have finally beaten the time change issue!! Today's ride was perfect. We will let the pictures tell the story.

The first 20 kms leaving Bordeaux was on dedicated bike lines with some on an old abandoned rail line. Quite a leisurely start to the day with a gentle grade up to our first stop at Créon. Lots of riding in dappled sunlight with the temperatures warming up nicely.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Happy free range chickens. Looks like they even have TV. I included this picture for Lindsay.
Heart 1 Comment 0
First stop was well placed in in the small town of Créon. As it is Monday not much was open around the town square. Pat wandered off, found a patisserie and came back with a sandwich and pain au chocolate. Scott organized the usual cappuccino and espresso. The total bill is coming down and is now about six euros.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Calla lillies along the road side. We are thinking that their gardens are about two to three weeks in front of ours at home.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shortly after leaving Créon we left the bike path and began to head north on small undulating backroads through a mix of farms and vineyards. We both agreed that we prefer this type of riding over the long straight and relatively flat rail lines.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Irises.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pretty archway supporting the rail line above. Large trucks were warned that they may not fit through.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Very pastoral french country side ride. Really pretty.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our first view of the Dordogne before crossing the bridge at Libourne.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We crossed this bridge at Libourne and had a bite to eat in the centre de ville. Libourne is on the north side of the Dordogne and is only about 50 kms from Bordeaux. It is a fairly large town with a population of 25 K.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a recently rebuilt area of Libourne. Nice views along the river and benches where we had our break. Men are playing bols behind us and there is a medieval tower in the background. The plane trees are just starting to grow their summer leaves and will provide a nice shady area.
Heart 2 Comment 0
When we left Libourne we had about five kms to go to reach our destination for today - Saint - Émilion. A beautiful day and Scott is now riding in just a t-shirt. He took a picture of himself with the camera on a timer as Pat recovered from a short but steeper pitch up to the town.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arriving in Saint - Émilion. This UNESCO world hertigage sight is a very beautiful but (rightly so) touristy town. Arriving in May is perfect as the summer months are likely very busy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a view from a town square and the top of the Eglise Monolithe Church which is built under the ground below our feet. We know we want to get to the town square below but do not see quite how to get our bikes down from up here. This town is a maze of one way streets! Jumping is not an option.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Pat finds her way down onto the main square. Saint Emilion is a wine drinkers mecca as it is in the heart of Bordeaux wine country. There is a wine store on every corner and two right behind Pat.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Happy girl! Does not get much better than this. A glass of cold sauvignon at the end of a 60km ride to a beautiful town in France. But wait... where is our room for the night?
Heart 2 Comment 0
I know our room is around here some where! After pushing our loaded bikes up to the top of this cobble stone hill, we discovered that the booked room is really back at the bottom! Getting in was another story but it had a jetted tub. Was that ever nice after our first day in the saddle!
Heart 2 Comment 0
We are staying on the third floor of a building with sixty stairs to reach our suite. This picture of the church tower was taken from the skylight.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After dinner many of the tourists have left and the streets are mostly empty. Picture is of the church tower in the evening.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We are staying the night at the bottom of this lane where we pushed our bikes up earlier in the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 63 km (39 miles)
Total: 93 km (58 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 0