What's this? - From Ship Cove to Milford Sound: the length of the South Island the hard way - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2023

What's this?

Bruce's big solo adventure

The creators of New Zealand's iconic (full north to south) Tour Aotearoa route have been busily putting together other ways of bike-packing across, through and around our scenic backblocks.

One of these is Sounds2Sounds, which caught Bruce's attention late last year, partly because the route begins right in our backyard. We live in the Marlborough Sounds at the top of Te Wai Pounamu (the South Island).  Ship Cove, the event's start point, is an hour's boat ride up Queen Charlotte Sound. The finish is some 1,500 km away, at Milford Sound in Fiordland.

After months of intense training, extensive equipment research (and subsequent necessary purchases), the only task left on his checklist was to engage the services of a reputable ghost writer for this journal. So here I am, keyboard primed and ready to transcribe. Come along for the ride!

The route
Heart 0 Comment 2
Tricia GrahamWhooo that tealy looks a challenge. Just wish I was 40,5o or 60 years younger and could try it. It certainly should be a magnificent ride
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsHe was really excited to ride through the Molesworth yesterday, Tricia. And lots more back-country scenery to come!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonThat’s quite a challenge, alright! How many riding days?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTo Scott AndersonAbout 13 or 14 days, he hopes. He might be flying along (he is right now) but this journal might not yet fly - unless I can extract some information from him!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Robyn RichardsOh, good. I hadn’t heard of this before, but found Hana Black’s account of her ride last year. It sounded like she did it in five days, which sounded superhuman. Two weeks sounds ambitious but sane.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Robyn RichardsTwo of the frontrunners, who began a couple of days before Bruce, took 6 days... superhuman indeed!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago