Day 2: Waikawa to Camden Cookshop - From Ship Cove to Milford Sound: the length of the South Island the hard way - CycleBlaze

March 7, 2023

Day 2: Waikawa to Camden Cookshop

It was a relaxed start this morning. Yesterday's ride was in very familiar territory for Bruce; today, he was heading into the great unknown.

From home, the route took him through little old Picton and onto the main highway south to the 'big smoke', Blenheim. Fortunately, he was able to deviate onto a cycle path for the last 10km into the city. While our book group was meeting in Picton, the adventurer had his feet up at a Blenheim café, enjoying his main meal of the day. There was also time for a phone call to briefly join our book discussion.

Back on his bike, Bruce headed inland up the Awatere valley. Just like the rest of Marlborough, this region is wine central, with grapevines as far as the eye can see. The day was heating up and so was the elevation. Starting at sea level this morning, he climbed over 1,200 metres  to reach tonight's quarters, Camden Cookshop. 

Here, he and a bunch of other S2S cyclists had a bed and access to basic kitchen facilities: not the Ritz but very welcome indeed after 10 hours on the road.

Grapes, grapes, grapes...
Heart 2 Comment 0
...and a rare sighting of sheep
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Awatere valley
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 99 km (61 miles)
Total: 196 km (122 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0