The Game Plan.: It's going to be a long winter. - Expanded Slumgullion Tour 2009 - CycleBlaze

The Game Plan.: It's going to be a long winter.

After my big adventure last summer, I've promised to stay close to home and work this summer. I hope to do some solo overnight trips, but I have one longer trip in the works.

We have enjoyed riding the Slumgullion Tour and have told many of our cycling friends about what a great ride it is. For some reason not many cyclists (that we know, at least) make it to the Gunnison area of Colorado.

We are hoping to get a group of easy going, low maintenance cyclists together to ride from our home to Gunnison, then back via a different route.

On the way out we'll go through Redstone (beautiful little town squashed in the canyon at the base of McClure Pass), then the back side of the Black Canyon - Hwy 92. IMO, Hwy 92 is the best kept cycling secret in Colorado. A real treat, just be prepared to climb gently - forever (!). No services at all this day, so we'll have to load up.

The Slumgullion tour is a loop starting and finishing in Gunnison,CO. I've written a different CG journal on the 2008 version.

The return trip is up for debate. I'd like to ride up Cottonwood Pass into Buena Vista. But the rest of the route home would be fairly high traffic. Which is why I've never ridden through Leadville and need to do it. Got to check those passes off of my list!

The alternate route home would be Hwy 50 to Montrose (my least favorite road in Colorado) then over Grand Mesa up the easy side and back home. We've ridden this before, although some years ago. But it would be bragging rights for the out of towners. Riding Grand Mesa is quiet, scenic, and a ride every cyclist should do.

Late June/early July is typically a good time to ride this area of Colorado. It should be warm, but before the monsoon season starts.

The big debate now is hotels or camping. Traditionally this is a hotel trip. But you don't have to ask me twice to sleep out under the stars! It's strictly pay your own way. Hotel or camping, no sag. You need to carry your own gear.

Stay tuned.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0