Saguache-Creede: The funnest day of the Slum. - Expanded Slumgullion Tour 2009 - CycleBlaze

July 11, 2009

Saguache-Creede: The funnest day of the Slum.

Lodging: Snowshoe Lodge 719-658-2315 John and Donna $76.95 including tax. Queen Bed. These are friendly folks to bicycle tourists. Donna always has some sort of hot, homemade bread in the morning to go with the continental breakfast. Ask if it's the day for cowboy coffee cake. Yum! Donna saved me a couple of pieces this year, special. Make your reservations here early, they fill up very fast. The new rooms across the street are very roomy and have two beds each.

Easy cruising downhill to the gas station. Birds singing both left and right, potato fields in bloom. Horses looking at us curiously as we zip past.

We stopped for a cold Gatorade and chatted with the cashier. We agreed with the cashier at the gas station that the Denver Post was just wrong to quit distributing to the smaller communities in Colorado - basically all of western and central Colorado. I don't know about the eastern plains.

We were with Ken at the gas station. It's another flat 13 miles to Del NOrte and Boogies. We were hoping that the post office had Saturday hours to mail back the tshirts Jacinto bought and his extra set of clothes.

No go on the post office, they're not open on Saturday at all. Interesting as the very small town of Saguache's post office is open from 9-12 on Saturday. We just missed breakfast at Boogie's by 15 minutes. There was no sweet talking the waitress. 11 AM is lunch. Darn. I didn't like lunch at Boogie's near as much as breakfast. If I'd been paying any attention at all to the time, I could have gotten there at 10:55 AM for breakfast.

Ken took off. Jacinto and I rode along enjoying the huge, huge shoulders on Hwy 160. This was the part of our trip with the most traffic - but we could still safely ride double. We stopped at the extra nice rest area. Jacinto said he did not need a sub from the shop in South Fork as he was still eating his six burritos he'd purchased in Gunnison. But he did want an ice cream. We put ice in our water bottles. I had a V-8. I never drink V-8 at home, but love it on tour. I think it's the salt.

After South Fork Jacinto took off. I rode alone, reliving previous Slum memories.

Just outside of town I caught up with Moni. We rode the last couple of miles together to the Snowshoe Lodge. I love staying there. The people are so nice. Donna even saved me a couple of slices of Cowboy Coffee cake from the morning breakfast. Jacinto went to the store and bought me milk to go with the coffee cake. Could life get any better?

Jacinto, Ken, and I ate tacos ate Kip's Grill. We had eaten there last year also. It was good and not too expensive. That is a downside to Colorado now - lodging and food is crazy expensive.

Fred thought these pink potato flowers were especially aromatic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ken and Jacinto pulled a fast one on me. They said these were potatoes piled up waiting to be transported. Closer examination proved that these were piles of rocks instead of potatoes.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 miles (121 km)
Total: 291 miles (468 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0