Palermo on Foot - Springtime Spin in Sicily 2018 - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2018

Palermo on Foot

We both slept like zombies without waking until 7:30 am. Breakfast was served on the upper terrace and what a breakfast it was. I knew from the reviews that home made cake made by the owner Filippo, was served for breakfast. What I didn’t realize is he is a master baker. He could open his own patisserie! 

This is the terrace where breakfast was served. We are just 2 blocks from the beach.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pistachio cake.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Raspberry jam cake.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We had a food tour in Palermo to meet up with, so we scooted out after cannoli’s to catch the bus. We tried to get on the bus at the designated stop but soon clued in that this was a school bus. Laughter ensued (ours, that is) as we dismounted and took our spots at the bus stop once again. The bus arrived 15 minutes after its scheduled time and whisked us in to Palermo. We are learning that schedules and rules are simply suggestions here. Bus stop is a bit of a loose term as well.

This is the bus stop...somewhere in the street in the vicinity of the waiting crowd.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 This is what can happen when you’re waiting for the bus in Sicily.

You can wait a long time for a bus here in Sicily.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We met our tour guide and the others taking this Streaty food tour infront of the opera House. Salvo, a young Sicilian actor turned professional tour guide, led us through several markets feeding us with traditional food, fascinating stories and history. 

The Teatro Massimo.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Capo Market
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fruits in the Capo Market.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Capo market spices.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Silks by the bolt in the Market.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The saint, herself. Apparently, women could pray to her to ‘fix’ their men.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Needlework and fancy things for dress-making.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fresh fish and more fresh fish. No wonder the food is so good here. It is FRESH.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Aranciata, a stuffed saffron rice ball. It was delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our guide Salvo, explaining the nuances of sweet wines to accompany our bread, cheese, olives and pizza.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I couldn’t agree more. We have always used this concept in travelling. If you think you’re lost, keep moving!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Catherine HastingsHooray for Sicilian markets!!
Have a great trip. I'd love to make it back to Sicily....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago