At Cefalu: Loop ride to Collesano - Our tour of Sicily - CycleBlaze

May 18, 2016

At Cefalu: Loop ride to Collesano

GPS route

For the next three days we are riding through the Madonie mountains - today as a loop through the northern part of the formation from our stay here in Cefalu; and tomorrow and the next day from Petralia Soprana, a village high on the southern side. The Madonie, the highest mountains in Sicily after Mount Etna, is protected by a large natural park that also protects its small mountain villages.

Our ride today begins with a fast sprint west along the coast to Campofelice dI Roccella. We ride on the busy coast road. Traffic is continuous but the lanes are wide enough so that we feel secure, and in any case it passes quickly since we are blown along by a healthy tailwind.

Total elevation gain: today, 3,900'; for the tour, 86,800'.

Cefalu and its bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Shades of blue, Cefalu
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town library, Campofelice di Roccella
Heart 0 Comment 0

At Campofelice we turn south and begin steadily but gently climbing into the mountains. When we arrive at Collesano, the largest town on today's ride, we stop for lunch. We arrive five minutes before the supermarket closes for the midday beak, which pleases us because we can pick up a few supplements for our meal.

In the store, I humiliate myself by somehow tripping over the corner of a crate in the produce section. I take a header, and land spread eagled across the aisle. I'm happy to find that nothing feels broken or injured, and that I'm not surrounded by an ocean of spilled, ruined fruit. Once everyone understands that I and the goods are all fine, we all share a few good laughs.

Collesano
Heart 0 Comment 0
Collesano
Heart 0 Comment 0
In Collesano, home of the Targa Florio museum. The Targa Florio was a road race in the Madonie mountains. Run annually from 1907 to 1977, it was one of the most famous road races in the world. It was converted to a rally event after that because it became too dangerous with more modern, higher powered race cars.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A route map for the Targa Florio, along with photographs of the mountain towns along the course.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The remainder of the ride is what we've come to expect - wonderful cycling through heart stopping scenery. If there is a finer place for cycle touring than we've experienced in the last several days, I haven't seen it.

Finally we crest the final summit of the day's ride, and begin dropping toward the coast. We drop like rocks, falling 2,500 in the next eight miles. Rachael whines a bit at first about all the trees that spoil the view - we just get fleeting glances of the water between the trees - but soon enough we break out and switchback down the face of the mountain into wonderful views of the sea, the city and its towering fortified rock.

Total elevation gain: today, 3,900'; for the tour, 86,900'.

Climbing out of Collesano
Heart 0 Comment 0
A fattoria in the Madonie.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rachael has long complained that I'm not all there; finally she has evidence.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Madonie mountains, near Isnello.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is primarily a flower photo. The horse just happened to be there.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I liked this photo because of the shadow the bridge casts down the face of the cliff below it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gorge below Isnello
Heart 0 Comment 0
Isnello
Heart 0 Comment 0
The descent to Cefalu. If you look carefully, you can see five of the Aeolean Islands (the volcanic group that includes Stromboli) arrayed along the horizon line.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cefalu from above
Heart 0 Comment 0

Out of sequence, here are photos from the incomparable cathedral, which we visited in the morning before our ride.

In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Cefalu Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 miles (64 km)
Total: 1,140 miles (1,835 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0