Sperlinga to Petralia Soprana - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 20, 2023

Sperlinga to Petralia Soprana

It was a short ride today in terms of km but there was a lot of elevation gain in that distance. 

Our bikes spent the night in a cave.
Heart 6 Comment 0
While Al loaded his bike with his many small bags, I walked to the end of the street and saw this example of old and new.
Heart 5 Comment 0
What a place to load your bike!
Heart 7 Comment 0

Beautiful bucolic scenery today, green pastures with a few herds of sheep, a few cows, even some horses and a donkey or two. Dogs herding sheep but none apparently on guard duty—but I didn’t push my luck by stopping to get my camera out. Also some toads again, definitely dead on the sides of the road in the valley below Sperlinga, but not yet flattened. 

Approaching Gangi, where we each had cappuccino and a fantastic cookie. Our route contoured around so we didn’t have to climb through the town. Up to, but not through.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Looking back at Gangi cascading down the west side of its hill.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Our home for two nights: Hotel Residenza Petra.
Heart 5 Comment 2
Scott AndersonYou stay in all the best places! We were here too seven years ago.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI think we are usually looking for the same features, and when there aren’t many places to choose from…
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We of course arrived in the early afternoon so had plenty of time to wander around. It’s not a big place but there is a choice of restaurants. 

Chiesa Madre dei santi apostoli Pietro e Paolo. We especially noticed the beams supporting the bells.
Heart 7 Comment 0
Chiesa di Santa Maria di Loreto. Notice the tops of the two spires. The one on the left used to match the one on the right.
Heart 4 Comment 0
On the left: wood slats.
Heart 2 Comment 0
On the right: coloured ceramic pieces.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is “La Cometa”, created in 1993 by Vincenzo Gennaro, an Italian sculptor born here in Petralia Soprano in 1944. It reminds me of Marvin the Martian. Why? No idea!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Chiesa di Santa Maria di Loreto
Heart 6 Comment 0
View from the belvedere. The blob in the middle that looks like a big rock is the town of Gangi.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Via Gatto (translates to Cat Street)
Heart 5 Comment 2
Rachael AndersonWhere are the cats?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Rachael AndersonI didn’t see any. According to the info plaque, there used to be a drainage culvert at the end of this little street and cats used it to go in and out of the village. So it said.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The narrow twisty streets just give a glimpse of Santa Maria’s tower.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I like interesting door knockers. I’ve seen a few of these Egyptians in Petralia Soprano.
Heart 6 Comment 0

I won’t add a bunch of food photos but I will include this one:

Sfoglio della Madonie, a local dolce or sweet. We shared this for dessert and found it again the next morning in the hotel’s breakfast buffet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 31 km (19 miles)
Total: 1,345 km (835 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0