Petralia Soprana to Cefalù - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 22, 2023

Petralia Soprana to Cefalù

This one’s in the running for best ride of the tour—but perhaps that’s because so much of it was downhill!  On a smooth road to boot!  On a beautiful sunny day!

We had decided to backtrack 7 km towards Gangi, as far as the turnoff to SS 286. First a short descent from Petralia Soprana, then a short climb, enough to merit removing our gilets, followed by over 15 km of wonderful descending with gilets on again, through a changing landscape. 

Leaving Hotel Residenza Petra. We really appreciated the radiant heating in the floors!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Last look at Petralia Soprana
Heart 6 Comment 0
Geraci Siculo. We did not ride up to the castle ruins but continued along SS 286, through the modern town.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Signs I hadn’t expected in Sicily. Well, the top one, yes, but the ones below?
Heart 2 Comment 0
We passed through a band of cork oaks
Heart 2 Comment 0
These were in a particular elevation range, same as the cork oaks.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Scott AndersonCyclamen spotted by a Cyclawoman!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Scott AndersonI’ve never seen cyclamen other than in a pot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

The descending fun ended as we approached Castelbuono, where we bought supplies for a picnic lunch. It was too early to eat but we were only half way to our destination and the majority of climbing was still to come. 

The viewing target seemed to be the castle, but it wasn’t a particularly exciting one.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Rather than continue on SS 286 all the way to the coast and ride west along the coast to Cefalù, we had chosen to go west from Castelbuono on SP 9 and then north to the coast on SP 54, coming directly into Cefalù.  This meant considerably more climbing than the coastal route but promised much less traffic. 

We had been seeing these signs yesterday and today and thought they were scenic driving routes. We had seen a lot of motorcycles on them. The name is from a “public road endurance automobile race held in the mountains of Sicily…founded in 1906…” (Wikipedia)
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bob KoreisIt was an incredibly dangerous race. In the 70s was switched to a rally car event. The documentary "A Sicilian Dream" tells the story of the race. I think I might have watched it on Netflix.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetTo Bob KoreisWe might have to look that up when we get home
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTagio Florio is regarded as the oldest race car race in the world.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Lunch stop view of Isnello.
Heart 5 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonWhat a beautiful spot!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
I’ve been noticing these wild sweet peas (?) beside the road for some time and finally stopped for a pic.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cefalù. It was a very twisty descent at the end, with many drivers trying to speed up the hill.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We are staying two nights at Baronetto B&B, just west of the old town and a couple of blocks inland from the beach strip. It’s on the main road through town and our balcony (where our bikes are stashed) overlooks said main road, but I’m writing this the morning after our first night and it was silent.  The metal rolling shutters might have helped. 

Beer at a beachside bar. Of course, there’s a beachside road between the bar and the actual beach…
Heart 3 Comment 0
Walking through the old town, we kept encountering this little marching band.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 4 Comment 0
Authentic Sicilian hats at this shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A walking path had been built through the rocks so we had to take it. Many restaurants have built terraces above.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The old port doesn’t appear to be in use these days.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Linguine alla scoglie. Not as good as we’ve had before but we had to have seafood now that we’re back on the coast.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking back towards the old town on our way to our lodging. The band was still playing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 69 km (43 miles)
Total: 1,414 km (878 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0