Flight home: Palermo to Vancouver - Sicilian Circuit - CycleBlaze

April 28, 2023

Flight home: Palermo to Vancouver

We've been home now for over a week so I really need to finish this off before I forget everything.  It's not like I can refer to my photos either, because I rarely take photos of air travel.

We weren't sure how exactly we'd get to the airport from our Palermo B&B.  We could, of course, take the train as we had done on arrival, but it's a pretty slow train and a long walk to the station wheeling our bike cases.  Plus, we wanted to get to the airport early in an effort to ensure our bikes made it onto the plane.  So, if the flight is supposed to depart at 11:45, we figured we wanted to get to the airport around 8:30.  When we asked yesterday, our host said it would be around 40€ for a taxi--sold!  Massimo then called his friend Francesco who had a big taxi and arranged for him to pick us up at 7:30.  Then he said he could have our breakfast ready at 7:00.  One more plus for B&B Gallidoro!

Francesco's route out of Palermo was convoluted, to say the least.  But by the time we joined the autoroute, it was moving well.  Or at least it was once we'd gotten past the fender-bender.  When we consider the reputation of Italian drivers, one might consider it amazing that this was the first accident or aftermath we'd seen in six weeks on the roads in Sicily.  But no, while the traffic may look chaotic to Canadians, somehow, it works.

We got to the airport a little early and had to wait to check in.  And when we did, the agent wasn't sure how much to charge us for our bikes.  I had expected to have to pay when I booked the tickets but was hoping not.  According to Lufthansa's website, bikes are never free, but then I've heard anecdotally about Americans travelling to and from Europe on Lufthansa with their bike cases considered regular luggage and not triggering extra fees.  However, Lufthansa was the only airline available when I was booking and I'd factored in bike fees in my plans.  As for people travelling without bike fees, I've asked Lufthansa and never received an answer other than "on the website."

The check-in agent sent us to the ticket desk when she couldn't figure it out so diplomatic Al went over and I stayed with the bikes.  Then a man in a high-vis vest came to take the bikes; the check-in agent indicated that this was correct.  He went off with one bike and I followed with the other.  The bikes were sent through the oversize scanner (they had already been tagged for YVR) and meanwhile, Al was getting out his credit card to pay the 499€ required.  The ticket agent had had to make phone calls to figure out how much to charge and, possibly luckily, had determined the amount without the bike cases ever being weighed.

After that, both flights, Palermo to Munich and Munich to Vancouver, went smoothly.  We arrived on time at YVR and our bikes did too.  Skytrain to Waterfront Station and a short taxi ride and we were home.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0