Look ma, I’m Glamping. - Across the US on Steel and Titanium - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2023

Look ma, I’m Glamping.

Quote of the day: It's just as well we don't know When things will never be that good again. Greg Brown song: If I Had Known. 

Started today a little late, like 830 or so. The most expensive motel six in the world wasn’t the best or the worst but I’m not sure I would visit again. When I registered yesterday there was a lady from California that was a bit confused as to where she was. She was traveling with her cat. The lady that checked us both in was trying to explain directions to her, but I’m not sure it’s sunk in. . She seem to have some dementia. When I checked out, I told the man at the desk that I had not heard her moving about at all this morning and was kind of concerned. He said he had had similar observations from someone else in the nearby room. He thought he might call the police to check on her. Hope she gets where she needs to go. Dementia is a bitch.

Anyhow, I got from West Missoula into the downtown area. I still don’t know what the big drawl is for the city other than its the largest city around and there are a ton of recreational possibilities in the mountains and rivers here. But for the most part the place had a bad vibe and I couldn’t wait to leave. No offense to those who like the place, I just had an uncomfortable feeling and wanted to get out. 

On the way out I passed a Scheels sporting goods store. I picked up some butt butter and a new pair of shorts. Hopefully my saddle sore will dissipate with these. For those of you following my backside troubles, I’ll keep you posted.  No need to ask for updates. 

For the next, oh I don’t know,  how many miles I’ll be on a bike trail which follows a major highway. After that I guess I’m on the highway. The adventure cycling association (ACA) says the traffic situation should lighten up as I get further down the line. I had a pretty good ride for the first 45 miles or so, with a tailwind pushing me along at about 13 miles an hour or so.   I’m not sure what happened at that point but my garmin stopped working. The screen is frozen and I can’t shut it off. Also makes a high pitched humming which almost exactly is the same pitch as my constant sometimes maddening tinnitus. 

There’s some small hills on the trail but most of it is fairly flat. Well flat for the people out here. Obviously, not flat for the people familiar with the Delmarva Peninsula. And anyhow this trail and highway extends down the valley between two mountain ridges. I think for the most part I’m around 3000 to 3500 feet in elevation, but the mountains on either side must be much  higher because there is snow at the peaks. They also affect the weather as I could see storms brewing at the tops of the mountains on either side. My goal was to get to Hamilton before getting struck by lightning or drenched by rain, and I succeeded but must’ve pushed a little bit too hard because my fake knee is a bit sore today.

According to the ACA Maps that I downloaded  and carry with me in paper form,  just on the outskirts of Hamilton is a cyclist only shelter called aunt Sally’s pedal stop. The ACA provides phone numbers for many of the services along their routes and so I called to see if there was a place for me to shelter for the night. I did not want to pay for another Motel 6 at Hilton prices and was just looking for a dry place where I could dry my tent and clothes after being in rain off and on for three days. . The woman who answered was very kind and said that yes, she would prepare her shed for me with a mattress I could sleep on. She also gave me the option to set up my tent. She told me there was also a shower. She also said that she had told the ACA that she no longer wished to be on there service list. So I guess she thought her phone number has been removed. In spite of this, she was willing to open her place for me which was incredibly kind. Made me think of the Cooky Lady in Afton Virginia. 

I wasn’t expecting much since she said she had a shed with a mattress. However, when I arrived I found a cozy series of small homes leading through a shaded wooded area to a farm field. The shed she was describing was more than just a shed. Apparently it was a converted chicken coop well constructed and decorated. The place is amazing. There is more than just a mattress. There is a twin size bed, a small kitchen area, tables and chairs, a small refrigerator, microwave, TV, outdoor shower, and outdoor toilet facility. And did I mention Wi-Fi?  You couldn’t ask for more. This is not camping. This is Glamping. I’m seriously thinking about ending my trip, heading back to Missoula, taking a plane from the Missoula  international airport and heading home. I don’t think my sleeping digs can get any better than this. It reminded me of the Greg Brown song mentioned in the title.https://youtu.be/I6RUhKsjNLQ. Of course, I have to continue on my journey and maybe I will luck out and find similar places along the way.  Sort of like Greg and his love life. 

I’ll add a few pics here but not promising anything.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Eventually, cycling associations headquarters was closed as this is Sunday. I was hoping to go around to the back where they have scales to weigh your bike but that was closed also. I’m sure my bike with the gear and caring weighs about 120 pounds.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Cool drop for door handles.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

There was a fire jumpers museum that I would’ve loved to have visited, but today is Sunday and is closed. I believe they fly out of the Missoula international airport.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

My front porch became my clothes drying area.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Glamping 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

It may not get any better than this, but I’ll take Greg Brown’s advice and keep peddling.

If you were wondering why I have so many pictures of old buildings, I just think they’re really cool. At least the old buildings in the past few towns have been well-kept and utilized. I hate seeing the buildings in some of these forgotten towns just falling apart. But I guess that’s the evolution of small towns in America. Maybe someone like Elon Musk should explore the US and buy an entire town and restore it. It could become a hub for one of his entrepreneurial adventures.

PS: I sure hope aunt Sally, if that is her name, continues to welcome cyclists using the  Trans Am bicycle route the fantastic rest stop she has here.

PPS: An observation on Montana. Apparently gambling is legal everywhere here. What is incredible is that even the gas stations have casinos. So you can fill up, go in the convenient store for a  quick snack, and throw your money away at the casino. It’s crazy! I just don’t understand how people can throw money away like that but I guess it is addictive. The other observation is that there are a lot of bars. In Missoula a lot of bars were open 24 seven. There are also  a lot of marijuana dispensaries. Booze, pot, and gambling…..an addicts heaven. I guess you could get drunk and high and then throw your money away.  I don’t get it. 

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 584 miles (940 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Gary AndersonBooze - pot - gambling = TAX REVENUE for Montana - this is a big source of income for the state - Montana has no sales tax which is great but all the states with no sales tax or no income tax find other ways to get their money - they always get their money some how and some way
Reply to this comment
10 months ago