Overview map: Bilbao to Puigcerda - Bilbao to Sete - CycleBlaze

February 1, 2020

Overview map: Bilbao to Puigcerda

When this journal was ported from its original site, the maps were lost.  As I get time, I’ll recreate them from memory to the best of my recollection, as a resource to others and a refresher for myself.  It’s sort of a painful exercise though: it just makes me want to go back to the same region again.

Here’s the overview for the Spanish half of the tour.  I’ll build detailed maps for the individual days as time permits.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Kelly IniguezLooking at this, if it were divided into 12 days, that would be 10,000 feet of climbing a day. Is that correct? That is so far out of my abilities as to be laughable . . .
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezNo, that’s not correct. If you zoom in, you’ll see that it’s just a set of straight line segments. It doesn’t even follow roads, so the elevation is meaningless. According to my notes, we climbed 80,000’ for the entire tour, including the French half. Most of the climbing was on the Spanish side though, probably 50-60k in 17 days.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Kelly IniguezHere I am, back at this route again. We are still on tour and we are already dreaming. Jacinto says to ask you if you've been to Andorra. It has caught his fancy. What he is interested in right now, is starting in Madrid, riding into France, swinging by Andorra, and back to Madrid.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Scott AndersonTo Kelly IniguezWe haven’t been in Andorra, but within a few miles of it. We crossed from Spain into France over the Col de Crueta about six years ago but didn’t detour through Andorra because it sounds like a pretty unattractive place to show up on a bike, unless you just want to stay there.

We could continue this off line if you want, but one thought to consider - fly in and out from Toulouse instead of Madrid. It’s a great location for an itinerary like the one you’re suggesting, and much better than Madrid.
Reply to this comment
9 months ago