In Soria: A photo gallery - Bilbao to Sete - CycleBlaze

September 18, 2017

In Soria: A photo gallery

I really enjoyed Soria. It's a small city, and fairly modern. Even in the historical center not too much from the distant past remains. It has a large pedestrianized zone that is full of life and a delight to wander through - why in the world can we Americans not do this too? It feels very open, accessible, warm; I imagine it as a fine place to live.

The Church of Santo Domingo. A fine Romanesque church built in the thirteenth century, this is probably Soria's most important and best known structure.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The rose window, Church of Santo Domingo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The facade of the Church of Santo Domingo
Heart 0 Comment 0
The middle archivolts (my new word for the day) of the tympanum. In the lower tier are 24 musicians of the apocalypse, and above them is the Massacre of the Innocents.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Plaza Mayor
Heart 0 Comment 0
Through an archway
Heart 0 Comment 0
I'm not certain what this building on the Plaza Grande is, but it's dedicated to the publication of Don Quixote. The good knight is at the center of the medallion above the flags. I also haven't been able to find what history Cervantes has with this town, but there must be something - the large park in the center is also named for him.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the sun at the end of the day
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the House of the Poets. This girl was hiding behind the pillar from her friend, but then noticed who she's standing beside.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the Alameda de Cervantes, a lovely green space in the central city
Heart 0 Comment 0
Several of the lamp posts in the Alameda de Cervantes were sheathed in crochet patches.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 42 miles (68 km)
Total: 244 miles (393 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0