Day 8: Revelstoke to Rogers Pass BC - Racpat Extended Selkirk Loop 2014 - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2014

Day 8: Revelstoke to Rogers Pass BC

Headed north-east from Revelstoke towards Rogers Pass. I think it was the Lonely Planet guide that said it only rains two times a week here: once for three days and once for four. We are lucky today, the clouds threaten but it stays dry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cloud banks amongst the mountains and trees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rogers Pass is one of the easier ways to cross the Selkirk Mountains in these parts. There are a few steeper sections, but most of it is gradually up.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Traffic is awful though, the shoulder is wide enough to make us feel safe, but listening to trucks all day is not my idea of cycle touring.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Both the Trans Canada Highway and railroad cross over Rogers Pass. I guess we should not be surprised by the traffic.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We camp in Glacier National Park at the Loop Brook Campground just below the pass. A Canadian cyclist shows up as well, we share the site to save on the fees.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Gourmet cooking in camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Trans Canada railroad crosses Rogers Pass. To gain altitude the railroad made a large figure 8 "loop" at this place.
Heart 0 Comment 0
With the new tunnel and stronger locomotives the loop is no longer needed but most of the stone pillars are still standing and you can hike parts of the old railroad bed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One fallen pilar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 359 miles (578 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0