Worcester to Bain's Kloof Pass: Once more into the wind - The second step ... A booze cruise that is actually a dry run - CycleBlaze

March 5, 2017

Worcester to Bain's Kloof Pass: Once more into the wind

A late start from our comfortable accomodation. We watched the last games of the Las Vegas leg of the Rugby Sevens circuit and then stopped off to buy groceries for the stay at Tweede Tol at the beginning of the Bain's Kloof Pass where we will be spending the night.

Once we left Worcester it was a dour struggle into a howling gale - it's amazing how often we have had to contend with strong head winds on this trip.

We stopped off at The Calabash for a pretty good burger and a couple of beers before the last few kilometers to Tweede Tol. When we got there, they had no record of our booking, but it didn't really matter because the campsite was almost empty, and for a good reason. It was in disgusting condition. Litter everywhere, filthy ablutions and no hot water in the mens' showers. To top it off, the price was R380 - almost twice the going rate for a good campsite.

The other folk staying at the campsite were a German couple travelling in campervan who were just as disgusted us with the state of the campsite. It could really beautiful if it was properly managed. It has the most wonderful location set in a small wooded kloof with a little stream which was unfortunately full of litter as well. We had to be on the alert for a troop of baboons that kept raiding the campsite, attracted by the litter and leftover food that was lying around, but they seemed sufficiently wary of humans so a confident shout was enough to keep them away.

Last supper on the road was the leftover emergency rations - excitement plus !

Last supper on the road
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 621 km (386 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0