Gansbaai to Bredasdorp: A great day's cycling - The second step ... A booze cruise that is actually a dry run - CycleBlaze

February 28, 2017

Gansbaai to Bredasdorp: A great day's cycling

We needed to buy groceries for the planned stopover at Die Dam resort, only 40 kilometers from Gansbaai. With the shops only opening at eight o'clock we only managed to get away just before 8:30 but weren't too concerned because of the short day.

The wind was predicted to be from the south-west but was in fact blowing strongly from the east so it was quite hard work. However, there was a good shoulder and very little traffic so we were really enjoying ourselves. The road was straight and not particularly exciting but we were so happy to be cycling safely without the bother of lots of traffic that it felt pretty good.

Long, straight and not too interesting - but traffic free !
Heart 0 Comment 0

When we got to Die Dam, the weather wasn't looking that good with the wind blowing strongly from the south-east. The road up to Bredasdorp was in a northerly direction so we decided to carry on enjoying the day and tackled the fifty kilometers to Bredasdorp.

The first 24 kilometers was on a roughish gravel road but the bikes handled it very well. With the wind blowing over our right shoulders, we were able to stay relatively cool despite the temperature reaching well into the thirties.

The area east of Hermanus is mostly sandveld which has very poor acidic sandy soils so it is mostly a stock farming area. However, a few small vineyards have been established.

Lunch opposite Strandveld Winery on the section of gravel road leading north to Bredasdorp
Heart 0 Comment 0

The next 20 kilometers was mostly with the wind on our backs as it began to swing to the west and for the first time on the trip we felt we could just put the spinnaker up and enjoy the ride.

Starting to tire as we near Bredasdorp
Heart 0 Comment 0

We started to feel tired over the last few kays into Bredasdorp - this is the longest distance we have done since June last year - so after stopping for a cooldrink at the first shop we found, we booked into Kate Country Kitchen, a self-catering house, which we had all to ourselves. Jacqui very kindly did our laundry for us while we scoffed the lovely ginger biscuits on offer. All this for only R200 a head.

Five days without punctures !!!

Today's ride: 90 km (56 miles)
Total: 402 km (250 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0