Quedlinburg to Bernburg - The Bartletts Bike the Baltics - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2019

Quedlinburg to Bernburg

Quedlinburg is a gem. Interestingly, it is not on the R1 and it is a wee bit of a detour but well worth the time. It is truly tempting to stay here another day, but the weather looks promising for today, so we will head on after seeing more of Quedlinburg. Rain and thunder storms are predicted on the weekend, so that may be a better reason to rest for a day. 

Acorn Hotel is a surprising find. There are many character filled properties to choose from in the heart of town, but many posed a problem to navigate our bike for storage and the prices reflect their location. Just a km from the centre is this Hotel with much comfort, kind people, super quiet and an outstanding breakfast, all for 55€
Heart 0 Comment 0
As you can see, they welcome cyclists. A wooden shed has been built just for bikes and is kept locked! Plus, we like that our room is on the level without the usual need for climbing stairs with our gear.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Loved this statue with much humour. The look on her face when she sees the mice peeking out of the sack is priceless. What you can’t see is the cat looking up at the mice with its tongue hanging out and the miniature pig in her apron pocket, pointing at the mice and laughing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
“Hear no evil, see no evil,speak no evil...”
Heart 1 Comment 0
Market Square in Quedlinburg.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We think that this was a fire engine at one time. Love the toques covering emergency flashing lights
Heart 0 Comment 0
This jazz quartet statue in the square really caught our eye. As lovers of music and especially jazz, we think the sculptor really got it right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rathaus, Quendlinburg. We like the laid back feeling here. This Unesco designated town feels a bit off the track and it seems less busy than the other medieval towns we have visited. There are people hear appreciating its beauty and charm, but it is very quiet.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Two examples of the coat of arms of Quedlinburg
Heart 1 Comment 0

We spent some time in Quedlinburg before heading out. We had an incredible lunch at Brauhaus Luedde and used our guide book to sightsee. 

The woman at the hotel recommended going for a beer at the local brewery
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beer was outstanding, especially the black beer
Heart 2 Comment 0
We had lunch at the brewery before heading out of town. Both dishes were cooked in a beer sauce
Heart 0 Comment 0

Wind energy is clearly effective on the flat terrain. We can see wind turbines in every direction.
Heart 4 Comment 0
We liked this scene of a farmer on a windy day working his fields -lush farmland.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This hawk followed us for quite awhile. We think that he enjoyed the wind more than we did.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As we left Quedlinburg, the quality of roads and paths deteriorated and it was clear that we had left the Harz region. We remember the problems we had travelling in this region years ago when we struggled with the quality of the cycle routes when it is not paved, particularly along the river. We are following the Saale River.  We regrouped and found secondary roads which proved to be a good decision. We had a great ride on quiet roads, the drivers were very respectful of us and we were able to make it to Bernburg, even after having such a full day sightseeing Quedlinburg. We are tired but so excited that the weather is improving. Today was the first day since leaving that we haven’t needed gloves, extra woollies and booties for warmth. It truly energized us!

Today's ride: 57 km (35 miles)
Total: 944 km (586 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 11
Comment on this entry Comment 0