Day 65: Maine! - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2023

Day 65: Maine!

North Woodstock, NH to Naples, ME

Today seemed like more of a butt kicker than yesterday for some reason, and maybe that’s because it was hotter and the sun was actually out for the first time in a long time. Supposedly, we rode 71 miles yesterday and did 6,700 feet of climbing, and today we did 80 miles and around 4700 or so.  Maybe it just felt that way because of the cumulative miles.  Tomorrow will be even more of a butt kicker than it was today and yesterday.

We left North Woodstock at about 8:30 AM this morning and started off with a big climb up the Kancamagus  Highway, and that was beautiful. I think it would be even more scenic if the clouds weren’t shrouding the mountains in the distance; however, it was still really scenic. The traffic wasn’t too bad. There was a pretty good shoulder for most of the way until we hit the steeper section, and then the shoulder disappeared and the traffic got heavier, of course, and people weren’t as generous as they had been with passing, but it all worked out. We also rode sections of Highway 302 which was pretty busy; however, the ACA route took us off of it quite a bit and  on to back roads, which were scenic but really hilly. 

Today’s destination was Naples, Maine; I was shocked how quickly we got to Maine. The town of Naples seems super touristy because it lies on beautiful Long Lake. Since it’s touristy, there wasn’t much camping available, and we ended up camping at a KOA for $72 bucks! Pretty ridiculous, but it does have a bunch of amenities that, sadly, are all closed on Sunday except for the pool and playground. We happen to be camping right next to the playground, and there is a whining kid there that I would really like to chastise- the kind of kid that is always yelling and crying - and screaming for his mother, and fighting with his siblings! I miss the forest service campgrounds from the beginning of our trip…


Well, we think we only  have nine to ten more days of riding in between visits with family. Can you believe it?  What an adventure, but we are ready to be done. I feel very fortunate to be able to do this and to do it with my spouse. However, we have been together 24/7 for over two months, so some independent time will be nice. Can you imagine having to compromise on everything all the time? Well, that is what we did. I will tell you we got on each other’s nerves, too, and did not always agree, but that is just the way it is. You don’t know how good you got it if you don’t have any comparisons. I could not have done this without Mike’s help. He was a competent biking companion who was a patient person, a good navigator, and an excellent problem solver. I am fortunate to have him as my touring partner and partner in life. 

Team Bean

This was the entrance to an enjoyable road following a river.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Blue sky!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mountain Views
Heart 2 Comment 0
So true of a few roads I routed us on…
Heart 0 Comment 0
Scenic Overlook
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Pass
Heart 3 Comment 0
Maine!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Scenic Roads
Heart 1 Comment 0
Mike really wanted to see one.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 81 miles (130 km)
Total: 4,196 miles (6,753 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 0