Day 58: The Adirondacks - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

August 13, 2023

Day 58: The Adirondacks

Selkirk Shores State Park to Old Forge, NY

I am keeping it short: long day, but excellent butt-kicking riding. The Adirondacks are actually pretty hilly, and they provide short, steep hills. We had a lot of miles to do today and 4,377 ft of climbing. We are getting our climbing legs back! 

We woke up early to sogginess. It rained so hard that the inside of some of our panniers were wet; we are now putting everything in plastic. It could be because they are over 10 yrs old, or the rain was just that bad! 

Anyway, we left at 8:30 am, rode hard all day, caught Peter who actually made it to Selkirk the night before, and now are getting ready for bed at Old Forge Camping Resort. This is quite the place, and would be a fun layover but we have miles to make tomorrow. “ Miles to go before I sleep…” So, our bellies are full, and now we need to shower and decide what we are doing with our food. This is black bear country, and we were told to secure our food. There are no bear boxes and we mailed our bear bags home…of course…, so maybe the bathroom with a sign not to eat our food, or help yourself but don’t take the coffee as Dawn will be crotchety if you do… This place is for car campers and RVs. But, it is close to town, on a lake, has a store and cafe, and movies! However, we are too tired to partake in any of that. 

Team Bean

Stats

  1. Cribbage Game Wins: Mike 11, Dawn 8
  2. Tortillas Eaten: Mike 162, Dawn 54
  3. Jars of Peanut Butter: 5
  4. Flats: Dawn 2, Mike 1
  5. Bike Haters: 4 (We had our first one in Montana yesterday.) None in North Dakota that we know of. 
  6. We may have had some bike haters in Canada…not sure; they do it in a polite way…
  7. Bags of  Salad Consumed: 25
  8. Dog Encounters: 2
  9. Beers, too many to count
  10. Bags of M&M’s: 5 of various sizes
  11. Fritos: 11 of various sizes 
  12.  Bear Encounters: 1
  13. Major Inclement Weather Episode: 1

Picture taking was not a priority today. Sorry. 

A lame photo of the lake shore in Old Forge, NY.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Same…lame shot.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Camping at Old Forge
Heart 1 Comment 0
This was after me after attempting to swim in Lake Ontario at Selkirk; I took a cold outdoor shower instead. As I was cycling back, Mike wanted a shot as he thought me biking in my suit with my helmet and sarong around my neck was hysterical…
Heart 4 Comment 0

Today's ride: 76 miles (122 km)
Total: 3,864 miles (6,219 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0