Day 57: Tornado Warning! - Seattle to Maine - CycleBlaze

August 12, 2023

Day 57: Tornado Warning!

Wolcott, NY to Selkirk Shores Star Park

What a day! We finally had to deal with really severe weather, but luckily we were off our bikes. 

Today was a short day because yesterday was long but also because I was excited about staying at a state park on Lake Ontario. The short day worked to our advantage because we needed to race ahead of some severe weather coming our way. We made it to the park before the rain started, and it was a fun, fast ride sailing through villages on Lake Ontario; however, in hindsight we should have stayed at a motel.

We got to camp at 12:30 pm, which is super early, and set up the tent right away as we were afraid we would not have a break later in the day. We hurried, got it set up, and threw our stuff inside. 

We then tried to find a place to hide from the weather so we could at least eat, and we did. Attached to the store and rec hall is a covered patio with chairs. We hung there all day as the storms just continued to boom throughout ALL of the day. There were tornado warnings, too, but that was unlikely to happen. 

We spent the day eating, talking, checking to see if the tent was okay- which was in a pool of mud and water, and attempting to swim. I wanted my fourth Great Lake. Well, I only got my feet in, and not because it was storming but because the water quality was questionable. The life guards were not recommending anything but wading. Apparently, this is the only Lake Ontario area with an occasional issue. There is a creek nearby and lots of agriculture in the area. So, no swim for me and we could have been in a different campground that maybe wasn’t so muddy, or a motel!!!!!!!! Instead we are in a stinky tent that we will be packing up wet and muddy tomorrow. Boo… At least there is a reprieve from the rain tomorrow. 

Soggy Team Bean

Our escape pad
Heart 2 Comment 0





Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 3,788 miles (6,096 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0